Thread: Sewing Space
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 05:40 PM
cricket_iscute

I have a sewing shed. I use it for storing fabrics here in New England, where summers can be hot and winters very snowy and cold. My husband custom built it; it is 10x12 --the maximum my city will allow -- and has two lofts. It has a good floor, walls, roof. It sits about 18 inches off the ground on sturdy concrete blocks. No windows. No electricity. He built it for yard stuff but I took it over when a storage space got too expensive. It was not ideal, but was the best I could do. I was quite concerned about the fabrics getting ruined but it's been several years and they are just fine. I have them in banker's boxes and those boxes are each in a big trash bag that is closed with a fabric tie or self ties. Everything is well labeled and each box is in it's place on the shelves, and those spots are also labeled. The deep shelves on the left are for homeless and charity fabrics. That's a 10 foot space, multiple shelves, 8 feet tall. It works well except that there is too much stuff in the middle of the room and that makes it hard to get to the very organized shelves on three sides. Else, I would like to have a cutting table out there. I'd like to clean it out but have had significant issues with a herniated disk and have been in physical therapy for the past three months. I'm in no condition to tackle it for a while. There has been no problem with mice or other critters except the occasional spider.

I do NOT think the shed would be good for a sewing room and I would not put a sewing machine I cared about out there. There is no heat, but it's kept at least warmer by the fabric insulation. Light comes only from the door. One reason it would not work as a sewing room is that trudging out there in rain, snow, or ice is very difficult for me; I am disabled in addition to the disk problem. So I keep extra projects at the ready in my sewing room and go out there maybe a couple times a month.

You might check your city's zoning and see it they would allow a shed, what size, with or without electricity, etc.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 08-03-2013 at 05:48 PM.