View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 03:18 PM
barbsbus

Originally Posted by butterflywing
oh, barbs
at last!! someone who remembers as far back as i do LOL! :lol: :lol:

i remember everything everyone mentioned, but i remember back further, too. i lived in new york city, so some of my toys were different, but a lot were exactly the same. do you remember long strings and wooden beads the size of wooden thread spools? some of them were thread spools. did you have oilcloth animals that you sewed around the edges, like cats and cows? they were stuffed but were still flat. did you play cat's cradle?

once my father came home, i always had crayons and scrap paper and scissors because he was a stationer. i swapped scrap paper for fabric scraps with a girl whose dad worked in a dressmaking factory.

we never had money, but we had such fun.

:lol:

Yes, I remember to wooden balls, spools and blocks that you strang on the laces.
When I moved to Mill Valley right after the war I met a girl friend who liked to sew and do crafty things and we used to make small dolls, kind of like the ones we are making in one of the threads here on the board and stuff out of pinecones or what ever we found.
We also made a knitting loom with small nails and a large wooden tread spool and made long strands of woven/knitted yarn that we curled and sewed to make potholders and hot pads. I think we called them spoolies. Now there is the same idea made out of plastic and much larger.
We also used to weave squares on small steel looms and made afgans and pot holders.