Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Fad" toys we had as children... >

"Fad" toys we had as children...

"Fad" toys we had as children...

Old 12-30-2009, 06:00 PM

I also got Storybook dolls for Christmas and birthdays. I think these were probably the Hollywood Dolls of the 1940's and 1950's. Very elaborately dressed and only about 6 inches tall. I remember one with a red dress with silver hearts all over for Valentine's Day and one with green shamrocks. My daughter has the surviving dolls. She also has my Toni and another doll with red hair and a black lace gown and robe. I had forgotten about those dolls.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Banned

Well I just got a good ole classic for Christmas this year.....A Red Ryder BB Gun!!

Come to think about it I still have a lot of my toys that I played with and still buying more.

Billy
Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Anyone ever make dolls out of clothspins & the silk from corn for the hair? Or Using a big button & string a string through it through two of the holes, then twirl it several times & pull on the strings to make it go back & forth? Pick up sticks. Or play Annie Annie over? You would through a ball over the house & the person on the other side tried to catch it. The only way you would know it was on its way over is when the person said Annie Annie over. We were very poor so had to be creative. These were the funnest for me as a kid.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:11 AM

Clothes basket (wooden apple basket) and clothes pins. Mom would drop me in there and I played for a long time. Have a photo from when I was around 2-3.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 AM

Odd Ogg Odd Ogg Half Turtle and Half Frog.
fuzzy wuzzy bear soap that grew hair
trolls, shirley temple, marbles, those flat discs that you'd snap into a circle- tiddly winks
Thanks for the memories......
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 AM

We had spirograpgh. Also a game called ministeck- anyone remember that?
Lego was the go-to toy. And jigsaws.
My parents did not go in for fad toys so I didn't get the other stuff you mentioned. Never got a brand name doll, although I wanted one, and skates, and a toy typewriter, and lots of other things I saw advertised!
Did have a yo-yo and a hula hoop though, and a I rememebr a nice spinning top. I sound like I grew up in the Victorian era, dont I, but this was in the 1970s!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 AM

Ok, not sure of the name of this but it was two hard plastic balls on a strong string with a ring in the middle of the string. The plasic balls would "clack" together. Maybe called Clackies? I clunked myself in the head and arms plenty of times with it. Also loved lawn darts.