Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Fad" toys we had as children... >

"Fad" toys we had as children...

"Fad" toys we had as children...

Old 11-27-2009, 03:18 PM

cootie, yes, i had that, it was a spider, with legs you attached i think..

the dolls, i referred to little skittles, were actually "little kiddles",lol!
thanks liszanne for the real name! !

there are a couple places you can still some of these toys..i was just looking at a catalog at my SIL's yesterday...

tiddledy winks,gumby and pokey,kaleidoscopes..they were metal or tin, Mrs. Beasley was a favorite too!
along with my samantha doll, i had a "Tressy" ? you could dye her hair with a magic marker, and the hair "grew" out from the top of her head..
we used kleenex boxes for beds and furniture,
"pick up sticks"..i was really good at!
oh and, we made pot holders, with the steel rack and you weaved the cloth bands under and over...
Old 11-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Yes, the Cootie game has been around for years... :D :D :D

We used to play a LOT of board games...checkers, monopoly, risk, sorry, we had them all as they came out...they were great winter entertainment.

My thumbelina gift was when I was around 4 and mom was expecting my youngest brother LOL I thought the diapers that came with her were so cool...but got in trouble when I told mom that "My baby crapped her pants" LMBO I guess "good" little girls didn't say that "word" :roll:

I forgot about all of the troll dolls....I made clothes for them mainly out of felt...and decorated them with whatever I could find 8)

We played hop skotch...four square...marbles...kick the can
Jump rope...dad always had long lengths of rope, so we would see how many we could get jumping at once :wink: :lol:

Old 11-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide

the dolls, i referred to little skittles, were actually "little kiddles",lol!
thanks liszanne for the real name! !

there are a couple places you can still some of these toys..i was just looking at a catalog at my SIL's yesterday...

tiddledy winks,gumby and pokey,kaleidoscopes..they were metal or tin, Mrs. Beasley was a favorite too!
along with my samantha doll, i had a "Tressy" ? you could dye her hair with a magic marker, and the hair "grew" out from the top of her head..

I remember so many of these as well, how about the hula-hoop?? I just brought one, ( this one is weighted and my grandkids laugh at me)) My younger granddaughter Rayna can do it pretty well, me it just falls to the floor.

We used the kleenex boxes as well for beds. Jamie & judy dolls. pick-up sticks, we'd play with these for hours. Checkers, what fond memories you have all brought back.
oh and, we made pot holders, with the steel rack and you weaved the cloth bands under and over...
Old 11-27-2009, 03:55 PM

Butterfly wing, your list sounds the closest to what some of the things I had. I remember playing with jacks and the skates that went on your shoes. I bought a used bike when I was about 11. It cost $3 and I paid 20 cents a week, more when I had it. Are those the good days????? Maybe not for me.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

I am loving this. So many fun memories.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by watterstide

I had forgotten about all of these too!!! There was also a frog game that you threw bean bags into his mouth when it opened...I seen one of those in a box sell for $100 on ebay...it was probably a $10 toy in the early 60's LOL
How about Rockin' Sockin' Robots? I battled with my DB with that game...

All of the playschool brand toys that have been around forever...3 generations atleast :D :D :D Jack in the Box...stacking rings...
Old 11-27-2009, 08:23 PM

We played board games, life, Clue, monopoly, yatzee, my favorite board game I had one uncle something when I was young, I cannot remember the name. games and reading were my favorite things while young.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:48 PM

wow, this is great. Forgot about a lot these things. How about Tinker Toys and Lincoln logs (the real wood ones not the new plastic stuff).
I had a Betsy Wetsy doll and one of the first life size dolls, about the size of a three year old. Had metal doll house that my Father put together on Christmas Eve, the tabs cut his fingers to pieces. I loved that doll house and had it for years.

Probably so much I can't remember, but sure have loved reading what of you had, so familar and so funny
Old 11-27-2009, 09:17 PM

Oh there was a doll. It was my last doll I ever got. It thought it was Thumbelina but it wasn't. It had pink soft body. I wish I knew what it was.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Power Poster

My Thumbelina was a wind up...soft bodied, rubber head, hands and feet. When you wound her up, she squirmed around like a real baby. The knob was where her belly button would be.