Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Fad" toys we had as children... >

"Fad" toys we had as children...

"Fad" toys we had as children...

Old 11-27-2009, 01:57 PM

I had a "samantha" doll, from the show Bewitched! she had on a black outfit, complete with hat...
My brother had a tonka jeep..that i used to take, and use for my barbies..!
Little skittles (dolls)

i also had a doll house, that one one floor, on legs,with room dividers, and a magnetic wand that you used underneath, to move the little people around.

thanks for the memories..!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:59 PM

deara,
yes. and hit the penny. did you do that? jumprope and double dutch?
did you bounce a ball and turn your leg over it while you recited rhymes, like "a my name is alice and my brother's name is al, i come from arizona and we sell apples". every time you came to an 'a' word you turned your leg over the ball. then you went on to the b's and so on. if you missed, you started all over again. whoever got through the alphabet first, won.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:59 PM

There was a Samantha doll? Wow! Didnt know that.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Wow, what memories you all are bringing back!

I wouldn't call most of these "fad" toys. For example, that LiteBrite that Baren* mentioned was something I had back in the late '60s. Also the spirograph.

Thos eand colorforms were things I just adored.

Anyone remember Little Kiddles? They were tiny dolls that came inside perfumed lockets. I adored them. For some reason, my mother got me plenty of Barbie dolls (and clothes), but wasn't happy that I preferred Little Kiddles and only gave me one, I think. She did get me a book of Little Kiddle paper dolls, which I played with until they fell apart.

Speaking of paper dolls, I also loved the Betsy McCall paper dolls that came in McCall's Magazine.

Superballs

Jacks was definitely a fad that came and went. It was hugely popular when I was in 6th & 7th grade.

Easy-Bake ovens, someone mentioned those.

Board games: Anyone remember Careers? That was my flat-out favorite. Second favorite was probably Chutzpah, a very humorous Jewish takeoff on Monopoly.

Books were also favorites with me. My mother wanted me to read, of course, but she felt like buying books was a waste of money since I could get them at the library. You couldn't get Dr. Seuss or Nancy Drew at the library in those days, though, so I had some of those.

Oh, here's a fad toy I had (as a teen): beanbag frogs.
Also stuffed snakes, for some reason. These were like 6 or 7 feet long.
I never had them, but I remember friends having those little troll dolls. They keep coming back every so many years.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
did you bounce a ball and turn your leg over it while you recited rhymes, like "a my name is alice and my brother's name is al, i come from arizona and we sell apples". every time you came to an 'a' word you turned your leg over the ball. then you went on to the b's and so on. if you missed, you started all over again. whoever got through the alphabet first, won.
We did this, but a bit differently. We bounced the ball against a wall, and we took turns, so when someone missed either a catch or by tripping up on the words, it became the next person's turn. I don't think anyone ever made it through the alphabet.

In our case, the chant was more apt to be, "A my name is Amy and my husband's name is Andy and we come from Alabama and we are astronauts.""
Old 11-27-2009, 02:30 PM

What a walk down memory lane!
I "loved" my baby Thumbalina! (I was 2!)
How about Baby Crawl-a-long? (Named her Cynthia, and she required Daddy surgery within a month!)
Aggrivation (marble game)
Bright blue Schwinn with a banana seat and streamers (man! was it cool!)
Kitchenette set...cupboard,sink, stove, and refrigerator!
Lot's of empty food boxes to stock the Kitchen
A playhouse made from an old refrigerator box(made by my older brother...really cried when I had to give it up! It came in July, but was one of the best gift I've ever gotten.)

Do kids these days truly know the appreciation of a well thought out gift? :?:

Old 11-27-2009, 02:33 PM

OOOOH! Forgot about the Trolls! I had a gajillion of them! I actually had/have one of those horrible snakes. My boys kind of adopted it and it stuck around.
How about Tiddly-winks?
Old 11-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Someone just gave me a game from 1949 called Cootie. Anyone ever heard of it before?
Old 11-27-2009, 03:07 PM

I had a troll doll, I think it had orange hair. Didn't care to collect them, though.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
oh, barbs
at last!! someone who remembers as far back as i do LOL! :lol: :lol:

i remember everything everyone mentioned, but i remember back further, too. i lived in new york city, so some of my toys were different, but a lot were exactly the same. do you remember long strings and wooden beads the size of wooden thread spools? some of them were thread spools. did you have oilcloth animals that you sewed around the edges, like cats and cows? they were stuffed but were still flat. did you play cat's cradle?

once my father came home, i always had crayons and scrap paper and scissors because he was a stationer. i swapped scrap paper for fabric scraps with a girl whose dad worked in a dressmaking factory.

we never had money, but we had such fun.

:lol:

Yes, I remember to wooden balls, spools and blocks that you strang on the laces.
When I moved to Mill Valley right after the war I met a girl friend who liked to sew and do crafty things and we used to make small dolls, kind of like the ones we are making in one of the threads here on the board and stuff out of pinecones or what ever we found.
We also made a knitting loom with small nails and a large wooden tread spool and made long strands of woven/knitted yarn that we curled and sewed to make potholders and hot pads. I think we called them spoolies. Now there is the same idea made out of plastic and much larger.
We also used to weave squares on small steel looms and made afgans and pot holders.