Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Fad" toys we had as children... >

"Fad" toys we had as children...

"Fad" toys we had as children...

Old 12-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

Here's a website for fizzies, they're back!

http://www.victoryseeds.com/candystore/fizzies.html
Old 12-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

I don't remember getting many Christmas presents at all as a child but I remember getting an etch a sketch one year for my birthday, my uncle worked at Western Auto and lived with us so he bought me a birthday present. I remember wanting a Bride doll and later a Barbie doll with case and one year I wanted Go Go boots so much.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I don't remember getting many Christmas presents at all as a child but I remember getting an etch a sketch one year for my birthday, my uncle worked at Western Auto and lived with us so he bought me a birthday present. I remember wanting a Bride doll and later a Barbie doll with case and one year I wanted Go Go boots so much.
Ooooh, yeah!! Go Go Boots!! And you needed a ChooChoo bag purse to go with them!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by amma
My List
easybake oven
thumbelina doll
handheld transistor radio
schwinn bike, when the bananna seats came out
skate boards
skates
pogo stick
stilts
tether ball
Barbie dolls and all of her friends
doll house
similar to legos, but they were little tiny realistic bricks
the toy with the lit screen and you used black paper and little plastic colored pegs to make pictures that lit up?
toy robot that was on lost in space
45rpm and 33's LOL
8 track tapes
cassette tapes
Pong game

Nintendo
Playstation
hot wheels, garage, tracks
barbies, cars, asst accessories
teenage ninja turtles and accessories
Strawberry Shortcake doll and accessories
Rainbow Bright and accessories
hand held games
skip its
bikes
inline skates
skateboards
computer
baby dolls/carriages/beds/etc...
The toy with the lit screen was Lite Brite :) They still make them. I think the biggest fad I remember was the slinky.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
My grandchildren still love Slinkys- and their cat does too- she pushes it down the stairs and watches it roll! LOL!
I'll have to buy my new kitties a slinky :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-22-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
My three year old daughter adored her Cricket... thought she was real, until her uncle put a Rolling Stones cassette in her and she(Crickett) went psycho!

Etch a Sketch
Spirograph
and Chatty Cathy top my list of fad toys from my childhood.
I loooooooove Spirograph!!! I also loved my Tinker Toys, my Fisher Price Doll house
Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

Wow, what memories this thread is bringing. Amma, I must be very close to you in age because I had a lot of those toys too. The lite brite etc.
BTW the toy that made the bugs was not a creepy crawler, that was the bugs set name. The toy itself was called a Thingmaker. You could buy all different cooking discs that you poured the "Goop" into. There were flowers, bugs, all kinds of shapes. I even got glow in the dark goop. That toy was a favorite, and yes it did stink up the place when you were cooking the things. I remember kiddles and i had a kiddle playhouse to go with mine that had an elevator you would work by turning a little plastic wheel. The string broke on that thing so many times! :lol:
I also collected troll dolls. Then I graduated to Malibu barbie and my best friend and I played "warrier woman" with them. We made them Red Sonja type armor out of sequins all sewn together into a skimpy little bikini outfit and used those little olive stabbers that look like swords as their weapons. At that time Red Sonja was a character in the Conan comic books, this was LOOONG before the movies came out. We were also nuts for Breyer Plastic horses.
Did anyone ever have those create a sculpture things? They were hard plastic figurines buried in a shapeless mass of plaster of paris. You had to attach them to a table or workbench with vice grips and the kit came with a little hammer and chisel you would use to chip off the paster of paris to reveal the hard plastic statue underneath. You could buy all different statues to go with the main kit. Wow what a trip down memory lane.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 PM

I had a Tammy doll based on the Tammy movies. She was a 12 inch doll and she could wear some of Barbie's clothes but hse had a smaller chest. I also had a Skipper and a Scooter doll and the first Midge with bendable legs. My cousins and my sister and I played for hours with them all. I made a lot of Barbie clothes.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:49 AM

Back in the late 50's, early 60's, my great uncle worked at 'Joe the Motorist's Friend' and wanted to get us girls (there 5 girls in the famliy, no boys) sleds for Christmas. He got us these triangular red metal ones, I think called 'Rockets'. We played hard with those things - we had great hills and snows back then! When we had public sale a couple years ago on the farm after our parents passed, we found those sleds. Heavy! We couldn't imagine we lugged those things around so much. And probably they wouldn't be allowed nowadays because someone could hurt themselves. Our other uncle got us an aluminum tobaggan - I don't know what happened to that one - four of us could fit on there. The youngest was proably too young to be out with us!
Old 12-25-2009, 10:54 AM

Tickle Bee...was so much fun! I had a favorite book..."Jenny Lind and her Listening Cat".