View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 05:31 AM
RugosaB

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
Yes, the school is still there, however they also enroll girls. I have family who have served as full-time house parents as well as weekend relief parents. The school continues to expand so that they can take on more children who are in need. Many of them come from really bad home circumstances. A lot of what is gained during the school year is lost when the students go home for the summer. There are also students who never go home even for the holidays. These students are all moved into one dorm so that they at least have each other for the summer/holidays. I think they are in the process of building new housing as we speak.

The school is funded by the Hershey Arena, the Hershey Zoo, the Hershey Park (where they have many roller coasters, etc) and the endowment. And then, there is the wonderful Hershey Med (associated w/Penn State University). -- Uncle Milty, as he is affectionately known, knew what he was doing and he lives on thru his students.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if they had a lot of 'tourist' things in the 80's early 90's. Cedar Point is about 45 minutes in that direction, we seem to have gone there almost every year, I'm sure we would have taken the kids to Hershey if we had known.
The show on tv described Mr Hershey as one of the 'good' guys