Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Chocolate Street, USA (literally)

Suz

Red face Chocolate Street, USA (literally)

My husband and I now have to travel through Hershey, PA once a week, our third trip. Last week I noticed this and yesterday I took a closer look. On Route 422 into and out of Hershey, the macadam or blacktop is actually brown. John agreed. It was obvious when a side road butted against the browntop which was blacktop. And again when the greytop (aged and faded blacktop) butted against the browntop. This was new paving on Rt 422. The town itself is not browntop, but I'll bet when it is replaced, it will brown. Interesting??? Wonder why they chose brown. There must be an abvious answer.

Of interest, the street light standards have either a silver or chocolate (brown) Hershey kisses on top. And several of the streets are named chocolate; i.e., cocoa, chocolate, etc. It really is a very pretty town. Milton Hershey was a wonderful man and his legacy lives on in this beautiful part of PA.

I've been to Hershey once in my life and it was so much fun.
    Alyce

dd
    Oh the best is chocolate world. It smells so good. Now its an animated tour but when I was a kid we actually went thru the plant behind big windows. At the end you had your choice of a full size candy bar, any kind they made. Now I think you get like 3 Hershey's kisses. I never saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a kid but that's what it reminds me of now.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I have never been there but would love to go some day.

We've been to Hershey. It was so much fun. The only problem was it was summer, we had a jeep with the top down. The chocolate melted!

I went once about 6 mos ago but the park wasn't opened yet, only the tour part which was fun anyways. Loved those Hershey lights and all but didn't notice brown paving, guess I was too busy driving to get there while hubby was working at mail facility for the day nearby .we were visiting in Va when he got a call that since we weren't far away,could he swing by to show the co some computer work which is how I got to go
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I've been to Hershey once in my life and it was so much fun.
    Ooooh, me, too! That was back in the day when they'd give out a candy bar to take home at the end of the tour!

Went to Hershey in '79 and did the visitor tour. Totally wonderful and the chocolate available there is so fine, totally fresh and so creamy.

There is a wonderful quilt shop on Chocolate Avenue - Quiltmakers' Cottage. Maybe next trip you can check it out!!!!!

My DD & DSIL moved there 2 years ago & I know she told me once what they used to make the streets brown, but now I can't remember it. And yes, Quiltmaker's Cottage is an AWESOME shop! LOL, my last trip there I went in & said I just needed some ME time & they totally understood!! I have gotten some really beautiful fabrics there, both remnants & yardage and have always been pleased with how well they made up. Hershey is a beautiful little town & the surrounding towns are quaint also.

CNBC has an hour long show about Milton Hershey right now!
    Is there still a Hershey boys school there?
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

My husband just walked into the room and mentioned there's still a school there (he said for poorer children) so there must still be a school there. He didn't even know I had that question
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Suz
    Yes, the school is still there, however they also enroll girls. I have family who have served as full-time house parents as well as weekend relief parents. The school continues to expand so that they can take on more children who are in need. Many of them come from really bad home circumstances. A lot of what is gained during the school year is lost when the students go home for the summer. There are also students who never go home even for the holidays. These students are all moved into one dorm so that they at least have each other for the summer/holidays. I think they are in the process of building new housing as we speak.

The school is funded by the Hershey Arena, the Hershey Zoo, the Hershey Park (where they have many roller coasters, etc) and the endowment. And then, there is the wonderful Hershey Med (associated w/Penn State University). -- Uncle Milty, as he is affectionately known, knew what he was doing and he lives on thru his students.
    Last edited by Suz; 08-18-2013 at 05:03 AM.

Oh, so have you stopped at Quiltmaker's Cottage in Hershey then? The ladies there are really nice! It is on Chocolate Ave.
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    Yes, the school is still there, however they also enroll girls. I have family who have served as full-time house parents as well as weekend relief parents. The school continues to expand so that they can take on more children who are in need. Many of them come from really bad home circumstances. A lot of what is gained during the school year is lost when the students go home for the summer. There are also students who never go home even for the holidays. These students are all moved into one dorm so that they at least have each other for the summer/holidays. I think they are in the process of building new housing as we speak.

The school is funded by the Hershey Arena, the Hershey Zoo, the Hershey Park (where they have many roller coasters, etc) and the endowment. And then, there is the wonderful Hershey Med (associated w/Penn State University). -- Uncle Milty, as he is affectionately known, knew what he was doing and he lives on thru his students.
    Thanks for the info. I wonder if they had a lot of 'tourist' things in the 80's early 90's. Cedar Point is about 45 minutes in that direction, we seem to have gone there almost every year, I'm sure we would have taken the kids to Hershey if we had known.
    The show on tv described Mr Hershey as one of the 'good' guys

Is the museum still there ?We were there in the late 60's and camped in a tent in Hershey Meadows. At the end of the tour each of us received a regular size Hershey Bar. Years lated my son took his boys there but the tour was a film and they did not get but 2 or 3 Kisses ! Hugs and Kisses, Hershey of course

Suz
    Stitcher, no I have not visited the quilt shop. I must arrange to check it out soon. (We go to Palmyra, the next town on Rt 422 for Chelation treatments, once a week.) Yes, there is a museum associated w/Hershey candies. And I forgot to mention the Giant Center which is also a Hershey enterprise. This area is absolsutely georgeous, rolling hills, nicely manicured yards and homes, large open spaces and great eateries. They used to have and junior college (don't know if they still do) where the kids from town can go for two years free and end up with an associates degree and then move onto a four-year university. I am sorry to hear they have gotten stingy w/their kisses. Really, how much would it cost for such goodwill? Regardless, it is a fun vacation destination for all ages.

Blog Entries

Cool Hershey

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    Oh the best is chocolate world. It smells so good. Now its an animated tour but when I was a kid we actually went thru the plant behind big windows. At the end you had your choice of a full size candy bar, any kind they made. Now I think you get like 3 Hershey's kisses. I never saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a kid but that's what it reminds me of now.
    You get a mini candy bar....I did it twice this summer

Blog Entries
    the only thing I remember about Hershey was the town smelled of chocolate, they must of sprayed air freshener