Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Chocolate Street, USA (literally) >

Chocolate Street, USA (literally)

Chocolate Street, USA (literally)

Old 08-17-2013, 03:30 PM

CNBC has an hour long show about Milton Hershey right now!
Is there still a Hershey boys school there?
Old 08-17-2013, 03:39 PM

My husband just walked into the room and mentioned there's still a school there (he said for poorer children) so there must still be a school there. He didn't even know I had that question
Old 08-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Suz

Yes, the school is still there, however they also enroll girls. I have family who have served as full-time house parents as well as weekend relief parents. The school continues to expand so that they can take on more children who are in need. Many of them come from really bad home circumstances. A lot of what is gained during the school year is lost when the students go home for the summer. There are also students who never go home even for the holidays. These students are all moved into one dorm so that they at least have each other for the summer/holidays. I think they are in the process of building new housing as we speak.

The school is funded by the Hershey Arena, the Hershey Zoo, the Hershey Park (where they have many roller coasters, etc) and the endowment. And then, there is the wonderful Hershey Med (associated w/Penn State University). -- Uncle Milty, as he is affectionately known, knew what he was doing and he lives on thru his students.

Last edited by Suz; 08-18-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Oh, so have you stopped at Quiltmaker's Cottage in Hershey then? The ladies there are really nice! It is on Chocolate Ave.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
Yes, the school is still there, however they also enroll girls. I have family who have served as full-time house parents as well as weekend relief parents. The school continues to expand so that they can take on more children who are in need. Many of them come from really bad home circumstances. A lot of what is gained during the school year is lost when the students go home for the summer. There are also students who never go home even for the holidays. These students are all moved into one dorm so that they at least have each other for the summer/holidays. I think they are in the process of building new housing as we speak.

The school is funded by the Hershey Arena, the Hershey Zoo, the Hershey Park (where they have many roller coasters, etc) and the endowment. And then, there is the wonderful Hershey Med (associated w/Penn State University). -- Uncle Milty, as he is affectionately known, knew what he was doing and he lives on thru his students.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if they had a lot of 'tourist' things in the 80's early 90's. Cedar Point is about 45 minutes in that direction, we seem to have gone there almost every year, I'm sure we would have taken the kids to Hershey if we had known.
The show on tv described Mr Hershey as one of the 'good' guys
Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 AM

Is the museum still there ?We were there in the late 60's and camped in a tent in Hershey Meadows. At the end of the tour each of us received a regular size Hershey Bar. Years lated my son took his boys there but the tour was a film and they did not get but 2 or 3 Kisses ! Hugs and Kisses, Hershey of course
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM
Suz

Stitcher, no I have not visited the quilt shop. I must arrange to check it out soon. (We go to Palmyra, the next town on Rt 422 for Chelation treatments, once a week.) Yes, there is a museum associated w/Hershey candies. And I forgot to mention the Giant Center which is also a Hershey enterprise. This area is absolsutely georgeous, rolling hills, nicely manicured yards and homes, large open spaces and great eateries. They used to have and junior college (don't know if they still do) where the kids from town can go for two years free and end up with an associates degree and then move onto a four-year university. I am sorry to hear they have gotten stingy w/their kisses. Really, how much would it cost for such goodwill? Regardless, it is a fun vacation destination for all ages.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Cool Hershey

Originally Posted by dd View Post
Oh the best is chocolate world. It smells so good. Now its an animated tour but when I was a kid we actually went thru the plant behind big windows. At the end you had your choice of a full size candy bar, any kind they made. Now I think you get like 3 Hershey's kisses. I never saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a kid but that's what it reminds me of now.
You get a mini candy bar....I did it twice this summer
Old 08-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

the only thing I remember about Hershey was the town smelled of chocolate, they must of sprayed air freshener