Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 PM
petthefabric

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I'm working on Ozark maple leaf. For anyone not familiar with this, the leaves overlap from one block to the next so one or two triangles have to be the same fabric to finish the leaf in the block next to it. Piecing the blocks together is like shuffling a deck of cards that I have to put back in order again and lay out before I can go on, every time. It has been a real challenge to my brain, but gets easier. I look for the challenges. I don't really want things that go together quickly after learning about the quilt over population problem, with relatives and friends not always wanting another quilt.

Has anyone out there made this Ozark quilt?
I made "Third Week In October". It's a king size. Generally it looks like the maple leaves are falling onto the ground and into a stream. It's made as a 9 patch and some of the leaves are in 5-6 of the 9 patch. When I first started I tried doing it as a 9 patch but quickly realized I was shuffling so much fabric I couldn't find anything. So I invented a new way. First I enlarged the pattern to about baby blanket size. Then colored it. I chose a fabric for each of the leaves and taped a small piece on the pattern.

Now to a 9'x12' design wall. I pinned up 2" sq marked interfacing. Then I started putting a leaf's parts in the correct location, starting at 1 corner of the pattern. When there was all the parts to the leaf and it's neighbors I pieced anything what wasn't a solid 2" square; some 1/2 sq triangle, some paperpieced odd shapes. When everthing was on the wall, I sewed them together in columns and then rows.

Took several years to complete due to the size and complexity. I had to take breaks for some quick satisfation projects. It's beautiful. Next time I put it on the bed, I'll take a picture and post it.