Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Working on That is a Challenge For You?

What Are You Working on That is a Challenge For You?

I'm making a pinwheel quilt and I've never made one before. It's definitely a challenge for me piecing it, but also because I'm working without a pattern.

Blog Entries
    I am about to start a Judy Neimeyer quilt called Sea Urchins http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/sea-urchins/ I have done paper piecing before but not on this sort of scale, I just need to finish a small lap quilt I am working on and will give it a whirl, wish me luck
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

None of my current projects are difficult. What I'm finding to be the challenge is to maintain my quilting mojo so that I'm not going crazy with mid-winter cabin fever. Major storm predicted for the end of this week. Thank God for sewing machines, wine and chocolate.

I am making four of the same scrap quilts for my staff. I am doing QAYG, and am getting tortured..

Mirror, Mirror. Slow going.

I am making a Harry Potter quilt similar to the one SCJoan did here on the quilting board. So far I have emb. only 35 of the 70 some odd book titles. Im thinking some books might be non titled. Right now I have done the owl block and am pretty proud of it. However, mine will never compare to hers. Her quilt is amazing.

Housework!!!!

Deep cleaning my sewing/craft room! LOL Just finished a top, it's ready for LA about 1/2 done with another one and it is a bear! All my fault too. 56 blocks all with the same problem sewn 2 1/2 in sq in lower right corner of block on the diagonal trim off excess. All done and noticed main blocks upside down so small sq attached to upper left. it's all trimmed so I need to salvage something from this mess. UGHHHHH!!! Good thing this is a quilt for me!

I am in the process of handquilting a queen size quilt using FM stitching..It seems like the blocks multiply at night while I sleep!! It's killling me because I have fabric sitting out for 2 more quilts I need to get done for graduation gifts~! I also recently moved in the past few weeeks, so I am sewing and searching as I go for the things I need..Hopefully soon I can get a nice size desk/table and shelving to organize...But- being disabled, I have a lot more time that most...after the 2 quilts are done for the gifts, I am hoping to get 2 more done for other graduates!!

Practicing my free motion skills!

Going to have to take the leap and try and FMQ a string quilt, once I have the back pieced. Idiotically I chose gingham as the main backing fabric.....realised that my idea of vertical line quilting would look like a dog's breakfast when the back was shown...In one way I'm kicking myself...but then...that gives me the excuse of avoiding FMQ yet again.

Blog Entries
    I'm working on Dear Jane. The last block [finished this am] had Yseams. I tried them by machine, but found the hand sewing to work better. Next, I want to start this block http://thatquilt.blogspot.com/2009/01/10.html but don't like the method from the EQ Dear Jane software and am not keen on That Quilt's method either. So I just stare at it as I walk past to do other things ... thinking a new idea will pop into my head
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

I'm taking a puzzle BOM class and deciding what fabric to use for each block is a challenge. I'm only 5 blocks behind. I figure in 2 months I will be caught up. We have 8 people in the class and we are all using the same pattern for each block, but each block is totally different. It's really fun to see everyone's block each month. It's an enjoyable class.

Hehe, when I first saw the title of this thread my first thought was, "Nothing, I quilt because it's fun and relaxing, why would I do something challenging?" LOL! But really having something challenging now and then is what makes it exciting for me too. Though right now I'm not actually working on anything too challenging. The hardest part has been the math! LOL!

I agree with the person who said housework though! Wait...I'm not working on that! Hehe

Finding the energy to quilt! Making new cushions for a friend's rocker- not super hard just not liking making them but have to get them finished not letting myself do any other projects until they are finished. Must be the time of year. By the time I get home from school and get everything else done I'm too tired to sew. Hopefully will perk up soon.
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

Blog Entries
    I'm trying to figure out how to make the Periwinkle quilt from Missouri Star Quilt Co without buying their template. I want to make the blocks smaller than what they make them. I worked most of the afternoon making templates and sample blocks. Not quite perfect yet. . . http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ubaCTtz...ature=m-ch-fea
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Not a quilt but doll clothes for my DGD's American Girl doll. I've never made anything so small and hope I never will again.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Trying to piece Jinny Beyer's DA VINCI in between long arm quilting jobs. It didn't look that hard but it takes a lot of organization and has some strips that are only 3/4" wide. It is a gift for my grandson's graduation in June. The top may be pieced but I question whether I will have it quilted by then.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

A paper-pieced wall hanging from a kit in which the fabric provided is already cut into the pattern pieces - and each piece has a bare quarter inch seam with absolutely no room for error in placing it on the paper. Such meanness is turning it into a miserable job, and I would never buy another kit from the local shop that produced it.

I'm working on a quilt for my SIL (my DB's wife). He wants it for her birthday in March, and he was very specific in what he wanted, a one-of-a-kind thing. I've procrastinated until it's time to get to work or be late. I've finally come up with the design, now to get it into motion........easier said than done with bursitis pain in my right shoulder! I'll post when I get it finished.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

My challenge is to feel better so I can get back to the fun stuff. I'd welcome a snow day tomorrow (if we didn't lose the power) but it looks like the snow won't come early enough for that.

Blog Entries
    Wow!! You all are so ambitious. My challenging goal is to keep practicing fmq. Have a scrappy quilt I'm working on and when it gets finished hope to fmq on it. Wanting to get it done so I can move on to the next project. The list keeps getting longer and longer!!

Raining Cats and Dogs by Lynette Anderson. It has piecing, applique, embroidery and yoyos. I got it in a BOM format so I can do one block at a time. Good thing because even though a small quilt, it is complex.

I'm making a Mariners Compass for my sister that is giving me fits.

I'm assembling the BOM Baltimore Album blocks from 2011 -- I have had to add a plain block to each side in the middle to made them fit around the the center plus fabric and appliqued inner borders - these plain blocks wil have something appliqued on them -- I'm on side 3 now -- I have been putting this off for several months as it is time consuming as I am sashing the blocks -- oh well, it is working out -- next will be another narrow and then a wider appliqued border (using long strips!!) -- the quilt will be quite pretty when finished....and I was so diligent about doing the BOMs as they were posted on QB!! LOL
    diane

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast