Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Working on That is a Challenge For You?

Getting my house together so I can get in my sewing room and "create". I "retired" (quit my job because I had it with the drama) on January 6 and have sewn about 4 hours. That sucks! But my closets and dressers are de cluttered, organized and looking fabulous. My kitchen is almost there, and my office-music room is...well...not there but on the list.
    I need a boost...think another cup of coffee and a few more minutes reading notes from all you ladies, then get with it babe!

I'm working on a Lemoyne Star quilt. I am using the Deb Tucker ruler. There is a learning curve to the ruler and I am one who takes a bit longer to get adjusted to something new. We too have a huge storm coming tomorrow about 2 ft. of snow is predicted. Pray I don't lose power so I can sew all day

I'm doing a quilt that is all 60 degree triangles, my first quilt that is not mostly square/rectangular pieces. Working with the fabric without stretching the bias has been a challenge.

Started a potentially gorgeous SAS but other projects keep interfering. The hand quilting on the appliquéd baby quilt is an ongoing challenge of time and skill level.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Quote Originally Posted by kateyb View Post
    I'm making a Mariners Compass for my sister that is giving me fits.
    Your sister or your quilt. LOL. Sorry, Could not resist

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Blog Entries
    FMQing. I have a new HQ Sweet 16 and 8 projects hanging on the banister. I just can't seem to believe that my FMQ is good enough. I KNOW it takes a lot of practice - so why won't I give myself the push to just do it? grrrrr
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I'm working on Ozark maple leaf. For anyone not familiar with this, the leaves overlap from one block to the next so one or two triangles have to be the same fabric to finish the leaf in the block next to it. Piecing the blocks together is like shuffling a deck of cards that I have to put back in order again and lay out before I can go on, every time. It has been a real challenge to my brain, but gets easier. I look for the challenges. I don't really want things that go together quickly after learning about the quilt over population problem, with relatives and friends not always wanting another quilt.

Has anyone out there made this Ozark quilt?

I shouldn't go there, but.........getting things together for taxes to be done. We always itemize, we have too many deductions to ignore. It drives me batty every year!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
    My challenge is to feel better so I can get back to the fun stuff. I'd welcome a snow day tomorrow (if we didn't lose the power) but it looks like the snow won't come early enough for that.
    Hasn't started snowing yet but we do have our snow day. Hope I can motivate myself to get tons done!

Binding! I have a mental block about binding & put it off.....now I have 4 UFOs just waiting for binding!

Blog Entries
    I am working on a Pearl P.'s Baltimore Halloween quilt. All blocks done, borders added, just need to add border bats. Needle turn appliqué ~4-5 years. It is georgous.

Moonglow by Jinney Beyer. I have been working on it for a little over 3 yrs, lol, I am on block six. I am having a horrible time with the points in center. When I get everything to come together I get a dome instead of a block that lies flat.

I'm struggling cutting strip sets for a postage stamp quilt (2" finished as 1.5" squares). It's not difficult, just tedious. i want to get back to finishing my UFOs - a snowball/9patch, a cat quilt, 2 lone stars (one needs quilting, the other just has the center done), a purple row by row, and a star quilt. I have 2 weddings this year that may require quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I am about to start a Judy Neimeyer quilt called Sea Urchins http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/sea-urchins/ I have done paper piecing before but not on this sort of scale, I just need to finish a small lap quilt I am working on and will give it a whirl, wish me luck
    Wow, that looks really hard. I'd love to see how it comes out. I bet you'll make a great one.

I've been working on a circus design for great grandsons. I had no pattern and it has been a challenge. I'm doing the binding on the first one and hope to finish the other one tomorrow.

Karen Stone's pattern "Cinco de Mayo"- I don't know the tricks to sewing curves.

My sister-in-law found a quilt she likes on Pinterest, it is purses, shoes, hats etc girly. She is hard to please so I want to do this for her. Big Challenge, no pattern, did find applique patterns for the shoes & hats, thanks to as great quilt board member! I did find a purse block, paper pieced, but it is not quite right. So now I am in the process of trying to figure out the patch on my own. If it doesn't work, I will go the paper pieced route. We shall see! It's all an adventure!

Learning to run my mom's long arm machine. She is not able to run the machine due to health issues and I will be taking over her quilting business. I am a hand quilter so machine quilting is different for me.

Blog Entries
    I have been attempting Marci Baker's "Not your Grandmother's Tumbling Blocks" for my son. He chose the pattern last year and I work on it from time to time... it is tedious but I hope to finish by the time he graduates college in May.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWpSE...OWSToQ&index=1

I think her quilts are beautiful. I do wish you luck, but what a journey it will be. I love making items that challenges me. I want to learn a different method every time I tackle a quilting item. Show it to us, when you get done.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I am about to start a Judy Neimeyer quilt called Sea Urchins http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/sea-urchins/ I have done paper piecing before but not on this sort of scale, I just need to finish a small lap quilt I am working on and will give it a whirl, wish me luck

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to make the Periwinkle quilt from Missouri Star Quilt Co without buying their template. I want to make the blocks smaller than what they make them.
    Have you seen the tutorial on quiltville. http://quiltville.com/spiderwebpf.html You can adapt this, not use strips but solids on both sides of the center part. It took me a couple tries to make the right size.

I started Judy Niemeyer's Sea Urchins without the papers. A quilt shop owner told me I couldn't make this pattern without using the paper pattern. This became my challenge to prove her wrong. I learned to paper piece without sewing through the papers. If you want to learn paperless paper piecing, check out Judy Mathieson's Mariner's Compass Quilts: Setting a New Course. There are some patterns that will require you to use papers but if you hate tearing out all those paper pieces and love paper piecing, check out Judy's Mathieson's book.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I'm doing BOMs and some months are challenging. My July block I just finished and it was pieced and the outside was pp. The inside was suppose to be 8 1/2" but mine ended up being 9" so the paper piecing wouldn't fit. I ripped it apart and started over and got it down to 8 3/4". I made the paper piecing larger than called for and put it all together and it's suppose to be 12 1/2" and mine was 12". How can that be??? It's crazy! So I put a border around it and called it good. I hate ripping.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I'm about to start my latest challenge to myself, a double wedding ring quilt. I've never paper pieced before and the pattern for it that I'm using expects me to do that. It looks like it should be fairly straightforward - place the center slice, see on the ones on either side, repeat, continue till arc finished. Trying to decide what paper to print the 98 arcs on.

Blog Entries
    Seems like everything is a challenge, lately. Queen-size to hand quilt, mountain of ufo's, organizing, and yard!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast