Thread: prairie points
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 03:29 AM
schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I recently finished a quilt with Prairie Points. My quilt was quilted all the way to the edges. I sewed my points on the way you always do. Points facing inward, raw edges alond the sides of the quilt. I basted them on, with less than a 1/4 in. seam. Then I cut strips 1 1/4 in. wide and 2 1/2 inches longer on either end, then the edge of the quilt I was sewing it to. You want the strip to be longer on both ends than the quilt top. Leaving some over hang sew the strip to the edge of the quilt. Don't trim yet, continue adding the strips all the way around the quilt. Now trim the excess off of both ends. When you turn the edges to the back, your corners are all enclosed. Turn the edge away from the quilt, under 1/4 inch and hand stitch down just like you would binding. I used strips that matched my quilt backing. I entered this quilt in a QS in July and won first place. Got lots of good comments about this techinque. If you have any questions, please PM me. Good Luck.
Interested in this method. Do you have any pictures? I think I have it visually...is the strip the length of each side...added and then turned and is somewhat like the binding that would normally be put on?