Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: prairie points

prairie points

Is there a way to do prairie points around the edges of a quilt without having to sew right sides together and the turning the whole thing right-side out? When I have tried to do that in the past, I always have difficulty quilting because it seems like there's extra fabric on the front. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

You can quilt the quilt and leave 1/2" around the edges unquilted then make your prairie points match the raw edges of just the points and top sew 1/4 seam when you flip them up they are incased. You fold in a seam for the back fabric and stitch down. There's toturials if you search YouTube. Good luck
    *Rachel*

Blog Entries
    Here's my way for making one at a time. There are also on the board links to making a continuous row of them.

Name:  Tab.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  65.3 KB

Take your square of fabric (practice with paper for correct size) Fold in half. with raw edges at top fold up bottom corners to center of raw edges. Press and use!

Here's the link for all the methods that have been posted on the board:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....archid=7168484
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I recently finished a quilt with Prairie Points. My quilt was quilted all the way to the edges. I sewed my points on the way you always do. Points facing inward, raw edges alond the sides of the quilt. I basted them on, with less than a 1/4 in. seam. Then I cut strips 1 1/4 in. wide and 2 1/2 inches longer on either end, then the edge of the quilt I was sewing it to. You want the strip to be longer on both ends than the quilt top. Leaving some over hang sew the strip to the edge of the quilt. Don't trim yet, continue adding the strips all the way around the quilt. Now trim the excess off of both ends. When you turn the edges to the back, your corners are all enclosed. Turn the edge away from the quilt, under 1/4 inch and hand stitch down just like you would binding. I used strips that matched my quilt backing. I entered this quilt in a QS in July and won first place. Got lots of good comments about this techinque. If you have any questions, please PM me. Good Luck.

I saved a website/blog (Pieces of Rana's Life) where she has a tutorial on doing prairie points using only one fabric. Interesting. I thought maybe I found it on this board originally, but I can't say for sure.
    Maureen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I recently finished a quilt with Prairie Points. My quilt was quilted all the way to the edges. I sewed my points on the way you always do. Points facing inward, raw edges alond the sides of the quilt. I basted them on, with less than a 1/4 in. seam. Then I cut strips 1 1/4 in. wide and 2 1/2 inches longer on either end, then the edge of the quilt I was sewing it to. You want the strip to be longer on both ends than the quilt top. Leaving some over hang sew the strip to the edge of the quilt. Don't trim yet, continue adding the strips all the way around the quilt. Now trim the excess off of both ends. When you turn the edges to the back, your corners are all enclosed. Turn the edge away from the quilt, under 1/4 inch and hand stitch down just like you would binding. I used strips that matched my quilt backing. I entered this quilt in a QS in July and won first place. Got lots of good comments about this techinque. If you have any questions, please PM me. Good Luck.
    Interested in this method. Do you have any pictures? I think I have it visually...is the strip the length of each side...added and then turned and is somewhat like the binding that would normally be put on?

Quote Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
    Interested in this method. Do you have any pictures? I think I have it visually...is the strip the length of each side...added and then turned and is somewhat like the binding that would normally be put on?
    Im sorry I dont know how to put pictures on here, but yes its like binding. Only your strip is a single fold of fabric, and it has to be a couple of inches longer than the edge of your quilt on both ends. I found it was easier, if I had the 1/4 inch already pressed under that goes to the back of the quilt.

Blog Entries
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Thanks for the link. I think I MIGHT be able to figure out how to do this!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I've made prairie points for a few quilts like this. This ensures that all your points will be the same distance apart.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I just got an e-mail from AccuQuilt today and saw they have a die called "Points" - it's for making prairie point from one continuous strip of material. Who knew?
    TwandasMom