Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 AM
meyert

Default Had an episode with my machine - questions......

Hello..... In May I bought a Janome 6600 and I LOVE it. I have had many hours of problem free sewing, but today I had an episode. I was machine quilting a memory quilt. I was using a decorative stich. The same decorative stitch that I have used on 2 other completed quilts. This 3rd quilt I was probably 80% completed with the quilting.. then I heard a noise. I don't know what it was. But I stopped sewing pulled out my quilt and put in my "test fabric". When I started again on my "test fabric" all was well. So I put my quilt back in.. and I barely started sewing again and I noticed everything was knotting up - the feed dogs were not moving. I didn't get too many stitches in... but when I stopped I could not use the auto thread cutter - I got error "stop for safety". I couldn't pull my quilt out... it was all knotted up. I ended up removing the foot and taking a seam ripper to remove some stitches to get some wiggle room. Then I tried to pull the bobbin out, but I couldn't I had to cut the threads to get it out. I was using a different color thread on the bobbin and I could clearly see that the top thread was all pulled down into the bobbin case. I ended up having to have to take the plate off because the top thread was all knotted up under, in and around the feed dogs. After I cleaned all of that thread out the machine is running great again... Question #1 - Any ideas what I did or didn't do that could have caused this? I know without seeing first hand it may be difficult.. I am just looking for ideas to keep it from happening again. Question #2 - I didn't void my Janome warranty by pulling off the plate and pulling out that rats nest did I? Question #3 - The whole thing ended up putting a small hole in my quilt (maybe 1/16" or so). Thank God I had interfaced the tee shirt that probably kept it from getting worse... BUT do I need to be concerned that this hole will get bigger? If so, what can I do to prevent that from getting larger? I appreciate all of your thoughts Teresa