Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Had an episode with my machine - questions......

Had an episode with my machine - questions......

Hello..... In May I bought a Janome 6600 and I LOVE it. I have had many hours of problem free sewing, but today I had an episode. I was machine quilting a memory quilt. I was using a decorative stich. The same decorative stitch that I have used on 2 other completed quilts. This 3rd quilt I was probably 80% completed with the quilting.. then I heard a noise. I don't know what it was. But I stopped sewing pulled out my quilt and put in my "test fabric". When I started again on my "test fabric" all was well. So I put my quilt back in.. and I barely started sewing again and I noticed everything was knotting up - the feed dogs were not moving. I didn't get too many stitches in... but when I stopped I could not use the auto thread cutter - I got error "stop for safety". I couldn't pull my quilt out... it was all knotted up. I ended up removing the foot and taking a seam ripper to remove some stitches to get some wiggle room. Then I tried to pull the bobbin out, but I couldn't I had to cut the threads to get it out. I was using a different color thread on the bobbin and I could clearly see that the top thread was all pulled down into the bobbin case. I ended up having to have to take the plate off because the top thread was all knotted up under, in and around the feed dogs. After I cleaned all of that thread out the machine is running great again... Question #1 - Any ideas what I did or didn't do that could have caused this? I know without seeing first hand it may be difficult.. I am just looking for ideas to keep it from happening again. Question #2 - I didn't void my Janome warranty by pulling off the plate and pulling out that rats nest did I? Question #3 - The whole thing ended up putting a small hole in my quilt (maybe 1/16" or so). Thank God I had interfaced the tee shirt that probably kept it from getting worse... BUT do I need to be concerned that this hole will get bigger? If so, what can I do to prevent that from getting larger? I appreciate all of your thoughts Teresa

Sounds like your top thread was not working properly. Perhaps the thread slipped out of the take-up lever, then lack of tension & all that extra thread underneath got tangled up. Also sounds like you did the right thing to "fix" it. Taking off the throat plate is not likely to void the warranty, since most machines now have changable throat plates for different types of sewing.
    How about embroidering a very small motif over the hole. I'm thinking tiny flower or ladybug, etc.

Thank you for your reply, I will watch my top thread. I like the idea of a flower, except this is a memory quilt for my nephew who we lost in an auto accident this spring...so the quilts are pretty masculine so the flower would not really fit in.

I have the same machine, and it seems to be rather finicky about lint/thread around the bobbin case. When it acts up I can usually dust out that area with a small paintbrush and some canned air to make it behave again.

Blog Entries
    your warranty will not be void for this, this is what you have to do to get the mess cleaned up and is not going to effect the warranty
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

I also have the same machine and have episodes like you just did. Sometimes the thread will slip out of the take up lever causing problems....was suggested to me to thread the take up lever in the opposite direction - it does help a bit. I also find that sometimes the tension discs get "funny" and I have to turn the machine off and on again - seems to fix it. I don't care for the problems, but they only happen when doing fmq. I find that if I check the tension on the top thread before starting that it helps (with the presser foot down you shouldn't be able to pull the thread through).

Power Poster
    I have had this happen on occasion with a dense embroidery design on a thicker sandwich. It is as if the dense design gets hung up too long in one spot and then too much thread is at that spot. I also have had to take out my needle, remove the throat plate as far as possible and operate to get the quilt and thread to release. I try to use less dense designs on thicker sandwiches. Remove the plate falls under general cleaning and maintainance in my opinion and will not void a warranty. Is there an actual hole or are the threads just separated? Separated threads can be coaxed back into place with a pin. If it is a hole, you can put a label over it or add a pre-made embroidered patch in a guy theme.

There are a few things that can cause problems on the 6600. #1 is the thread jumping out of the take up lever. Thread it backwards and it won't be a problem. #2 is the bobbin not being threaded right. Make sure the thread is in the little slot. #3 is the thread coming out of the #7 thread guide. I only have this happen with really heavy threads.

I have had this happen and the cause apparently was a flaw (knot or such like) in the thread.

Blog Entries
    This has happened to me and it's because sometimes I'm a doorknob and forget to lower the presser foot. However, it sounds like you had already been stitching quite a while, so that probably wasn't your problem.

Was your test fabric sandwiched with the same batting as the quilt?

Blog Entries
    When I had the problem with my machine I found a fluff bunny rolled around the thread and a knot.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have Janome MC4000 which is probably 20 years old. It still works very well, but it likes to be clean. If lint settles in the bobbin or feed dog area, it balks. It makes you believe that it it deathly ill. All I do is remove everything down there and clean it very well. Then I change the needle and it's good to go. Hopefully that is your problem.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I was quilting with mine using a 40 wt thread and experienced some odd noises. I stopped and noticed that my thread had partially shredded, a big glob on thread above the needle and the core of the thread still through the needle. I cut off the glob and retreaded and everything was fine.......until it happened again. This was annoying and I was fortunate not to get a hole. As soon as I heard the clunking, I stopped. I used this same 100% cotton thread last month for another quilt without issue. I tried changing needle to larger one, nothing helped. I had 2 spools of same thread,wonder if I got a bad spool?who knows, anyway, check your thread and see if it looks ok. Good luck!

Forgot to say that this happened with Janome 6600 with accufeed foot.

Thank you for all of your replies... next time I hear a noise I will have some ideas of what to look for. I will make sure I clean out the bobbin area .... I actually had never done that before Live and learn.. and ask for help from others thanks again

I had that happen on my Babylock Jane, straight stitch only. I forgot to lower the presser foot. Only time it happens.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have had the same issue with the Janome 7700. It took me months to figure it out but it sound like the same thing that everyone else has said about the thread jumping out of the take up lever.
    Very frustrating bu now I am aware of it I make sure that it is properly threaded all the time.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Sounds like you've got a lot of ideas for your machine problem. I don't have that model, so I can't be much help. However, with the hole it created, do you have a small logo or emblem from one of the unused shirts you cut up that you could use? This has happened to me before, and I cut out a small logo (leaving about an inch all the way around the logo), placed it face-down to a piece of lightweight fusible interfacing (placed face-up), sewed all the way around the logo in a circle or square, and cut a slit in the interfacing and turned the logo right-side-out. Then I ironed it over the hole, and sewed it down. Worked like a charm, and nobody (but me) knew the difference!

I had the same thing happen this afternoon with my slant needle machine while doing a pillowcase. Guess a piece of thread got tangled somehow and gummed up the works. Was a kind of a pain to untangle but worked fine once I got it all out.

Sounds like you need to take a road trip to Sharyn's. Darrell will get you through it. I had to go there twice in one day when I was having trouble with mine a couple years ago. They'll get you going again.
    Alice the quilter

Is there something that was personal to him. if you do some checking you might be able to find out if he was crazy about football ect. or maybe even his initials depending on where it was located on the quilt. a lucky lady bug. ect. ect.
    http://ncfabricjunkie.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    Thank you for all of your replies... next time I hear a noise I will have some ideas of what to look for. I will make sure I clean out the bobbin area .... I actually had never done that before Live and learn.. and ask for help from others thanks again
    I take the plate off and clean my entire bobbin area after every two bobbins and put a drop of oil on the little center pad when it begins to look dry. Some of my friends do it after every bobbin. It might seem like a lot of bother but in the 2 1/2 years I had my 6500, I didn't have to take my machine to the "Dr". My new 8200 is responding well to the TLC. Preventative maintenance pays.

Try cleaning your machine of all lint after you make each quilt - especially with the plate off and bobbin case out. Brush the inside of the bobbin case as well. That is just normal part of maintenance for your machine. I suggest using fray stopper on the hole. If you are really concerned, you could fuse a small heart or square patch over it.Change your needle regularly as well - especially if you hear the popping sound as it goes into your work. That sound means that the needle is very blunt and needs to be discarded. All the best with it.

Lint is a four letter word to any sewing machine, be it DM or L/A. Get into the habit of cleaning out that bobbin and bobbin race frequently...don't wait for the "clunk" or the messy knot...that could cause some mechanical problem that can be avoided by a good dusting out more frequently.

i have this happen too and i find i need to clean the bobbin area and feed dogs. and re thread every time this happens also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast