Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had an episode with my machine - questions...... >

Had an episode with my machine - questions......

Had an episode with my machine - questions......

Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 PM

Lint buildup in the bobbin area causes this. Especially if you are working with cotton fabric, thread or batting.

You have to clean them often.
Marge

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Hello..... In May I bought a Janome 6600 and I LOVE it. I have had many hours of problem free sewing, but today I had an episode. I was machine quilting a memory quilt. I was using a decorative stich. The same decorative stitch that I have used on 2 other completed quilts. This 3rd quilt I was probably 80% completed with the quilting.. then I heard a noise. I don't know what it was. But I stopped sewing pulled out my quilt and put in my "test fabric". When I started again on my "test fabric" all was well. So I put my quilt back in.. and I barely started sewing again and I noticed everything was knotting up - the feed dogs were not moving. I didn't get too many stitches in... but when I stopped I could not use the auto thread cutter - I got error "stop for safety". I couldn't pull my quilt out... it was all knotted up. I ended up removing the foot and taking a seam ripper to remove some stitches to get some wiggle room. Then I tried to pull the bobbin out, but I couldn't I had to cut the threads to get it out. I was using a different color thread on the bobbin and I could clearly see that the top thread was all pulled down into the bobbin case. I ended up having to have to take the plate off because the top thread was all knotted up under, in and around the feed dogs. After I cleaned all of that thread out the machine is running great again... Question #1 - Any ideas what I did or didn't do that could have caused this? I know without seeing first hand it may be difficult.. I am just looking for ideas to keep it from happening again. Question #2 - I didn't void my Janome warranty by pulling off the plate and pulling out that rats nest did I? Question #3 - The whole thing ended up putting a small hole in my quilt (maybe 1/16" or so). Thank God I had interfaced the tee shirt that probably kept it from getting worse... BUT do I need to be concerned that this hole will get bigger? If so, what can I do to prevent that from getting larger? I appreciate all of your thoughts Teresa
Old 08-24-2013, 02:27 PM

I am having problems with my bobbin area and it also is sounding funny...I tried everything..its going into the shop...they fix it for free but so bummed not to be sewing today. I instead have been cutting my small scraps all day into 2 1/2 inch squares. ; ( will be bringing it in Monday. I normally can fix it but its also time for a tune up so I give up