Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had an episode with my machine - questions...... >

Had an episode with my machine - questions......

Had an episode with my machine - questions......

Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
"Unique Stitch" is great for fixing holes......comes in a tube. Also you might applique a heart with his initials in the heart.
FrayChek is helpful - there are some other products that do the same thing that dry 'soft' - sorry, I don't know the names of them.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM

Alice Woodhull - I did think about running to Sharyn's!! Its a 1 hour trip one way so I hated to spend my day off that way. If it happens again I sure will be calling at the very least
Old 08-22-2013, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the tip on "Unique Stitch" I have never heard of that. Will check it out
Old 08-22-2013, 03:20 PM

It might help if you ran one slender line of liquid silicone on the thread in the spool of thread on top the machine or in a thread holder, top to bottom.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM

Oh I've had this happen check your thread in the take up lever. That's usually my culprit.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned

Hi. If the person likes sports or some other hobby, you could cover the hole with that instead of a flower, ie a baseball, football, fish, etc. Good luck
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 PM

meyert,
The throat plate(goes over bobbin) is supposed to be taken off periodically to clean out the lint. Most newer machines are fussy if you don't clean out the lint from the bobbin area; my Viking Sapphire sure is. So you didn't void your warranty.
It sounds like the top thread may have come off the take lever or jumped out of the tension disks.
Sharon

Last edited by purplefiend; 08-22-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 PM

I have found that when you hear your machine sound 'different' it is time to stop, and really work on your machine. I would take off my throat plate, mine(a Bernina) builds up lots of lint, from the thread passing through rapidly. Check my threading, my needle condition (if you have been sewing for 6 hours or the equivalent, change your needle) But I have also found my machine needs just a little oil. I put sewing machine oil on a cue tip and swab it in the bobbin case--without the bobbin. When your machine sounds different, it usually means it is complaining to you! I hear it as I need Attention! If you haven't spent some time oiling your machine, go over your manual and see what it says to do to oil it, or maintain it.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 AM

The take up lever is normally the culprit. However, using a Microtex 90/14 needle will also help...or a topstitch needle.
Nine times out of ten with skipped stitches it is the needle. Nesting under the plate is normally the upper thread....and that leads to the thread out of the take up lever. Janome has had this issue of thread coming out of the lever and subsequent machines like the 8900 and their embroidery machines have a locking take up lever....once your thread is int he lever, there is a little piece that comes down behind it and locks your thread in.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:12 AM

Pepita - you made a comment that if I had been sewing for 6 hours to change my needle..... are needles only good for 6 hours of use? I have never thought of replacing my needle.... I had one that broke, but other than that I just change to a 16 for my quilting and back to an 11 or 14 for sewing. How do I know if my needle needs to be changed? Do you just throw them out?