Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had an episode with my machine - questions...... >

Had an episode with my machine - questions......

Had an episode with my machine - questions......

Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 AM

Is there something that was personal to him. if you do some checking you might be able to find out if he was crazy about football ect. or maybe even his initials depending on where it was located on the quilt. a lucky lady bug. ect. ect.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Thank you for all of your replies... next time I hear a noise I will have some ideas of what to look for. I will make sure I clean out the bobbin area .... I actually had never done that before Live and learn.. and ask for help from others thanks again
I take the plate off and clean my entire bobbin area after every two bobbins and put a drop of oil on the little center pad when it begins to look dry. Some of my friends do it after every bobbin. It might seem like a lot of bother but in the 2 1/2 years I had my 6500, I didn't have to take my machine to the "Dr". My new 8200 is responding well to the TLC. Preventative maintenance pays.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 AM

Try cleaning your machine of all lint after you make each quilt - especially with the plate off and bobbin case out. Brush the inside of the bobbin case as well. That is just normal part of maintenance for your machine. I suggest using fray stopper on the hole. If you are really concerned, you could fuse a small heart or square patch over it.Change your needle regularly as well - especially if you hear the popping sound as it goes into your work. That sound means that the needle is very blunt and needs to be discarded. All the best with it.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 AM

Lint is a four letter word to any sewing machine, be it DM or L/A. Get into the habit of cleaning out that bobbin and bobbin race frequently...don't wait for the "clunk" or the messy knot...that could cause some mechanical problem that can be avoided by a good dusting out more frequently.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:17 AM

i have this happen too and i find i need to clean the bobbin area and feed dogs. and re thread every time this happens also.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 AM

I have had a similar problem, don't have your machine; but all of them have their quirks. Each time I encountered the problem it was the top thread. How it happens I haven't a clue, but just taking it out and doing a cleaning and then re-threading after checking the bobbin and cleaning that also has always solved the problem. I just finished a project in which I had the thread breaking and couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. And as Peckish said, as a doorknob I had put some patterns on the right side of my machine and they were laying up against the thread spool. Duh, sometimes I wonder if I should be allowed to play with sharp objects.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:41 AM
C.

I have the 6600 and is now 7 years old. I have only experienced this problem two or three times over the years. I clean it every other time I put a bobbin in and put one drop of oil on the wick in the bobbin case about once a month or as needed. I also use bobbin genie, which is a teflon ring that goes inside the bobbin case that prevents the bobbin from jumping up and down. If your thread was balling up at all just above the needle, it means you needed a larger needle. I use topstitch needles only, as the eye is wider than other needles to help thread go thru more smoothly with less problems. Also, one point two dealers told me to do, is to never pull your spool of thread out with the machine threaded, as it goes against the purpose of the tension discs, causing problems with them. Cut your thread at the top, than remove your spool, and than pull the strand of thread out at the bottom of the needle. This insures the proper direction of the discs. Just some pointers. I love my 6600 and it has been a true workhorse. I piece and do lots of fmq with seldom an issue. Hope this helped....
Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 AM

I have had that happen, for some reason the bobbin thread catches the top thread and winds it up around the bobbin, making a mess. Make sure when you wind the bobbin that there is no tail with the beginning of the wind.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by peacebypiece View Post
Sounds like your top thread was not working properly. Perhaps the thread slipped out of the take-up lever, then lack of tension & all that extra thread underneath got tangled up. Also sounds like you did the right thing to "fix" it. Taking off the throat plate is not likely to void the warranty, since most machines now have changable throat plates for different types of sewing.
How about embroidering a very small motif over the hole. I'm thinking tiny flower or ladybug, etc.
I have the Elna version of this same machine and everytime I have this issues (which isn't often and usually only when I've been sewing fast and hard) it's because the top thread has slipped out of the take-up lever. The way this machine is made it's not quickly obvious--so always re-thread the machine. And no, you did not void the warranty. I agree an embroidered motif, or maybe an applique. Sounds like you may have been working on a T-shirt quilt--what about a pocket from another shirt?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM

"Unique Stitch" is great for fixing holes......comes in a tube. Also you might applique a heart with his initials in the heart.