Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 AM
kathymarie

I use tables in my sewing room for small up to large wall hangings....but for queen and king I use my old farmhouse dining room table...the key for me is something I just learned a year or so ago....but the idea has been around a long time. Someone here on the board posted it but I think the idea originally came from Sharon Schamber....you can see Sharon's videos on youtube about basting quilts. She uses two boards to roll them on. It's absolutely amazing and how easy this is to do...it doesn't even matter whether you pin baste or use needle and thread. I have 3 sets of boards...these are just 1inch x 3 inch boards we had left over from building projects. The first set is 3 feet long, the second is 5 feet long...The third set----the one to accommodate the big quilts are 2 six feet pieces of board...still 1x3....with a little peg in one and a hole in the other so they snug together. I originally wanted piano hinge that would lie flat but this works great. Check out Sharon's videos....they are amazing....no more bending over the bed or crawling around on the floor to baste. AND you can easily do it by yourself. It takes me 2.5 to 3 hours to baste a king size quilt at a leisurely pace.