View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Peckish

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
. Got the shredder and grinder attachments, can't use them, because its too tall to reach unless you're on a stool.
You must be petite. Maybe it would be easier to use those attachments if the mixer was on a table instead of the counter?

I have a funny story about how I got my Kitchen Aid mixer. We were at my sister-in-law's house, visiting. My husband spotted a mixer on a high shelf in the garage. He asked, "Hey, is that the same mixer Mom used to make bread and cookies when we were little?" My SIL said "Yes, but it doesn't work anymore. I think the motor is burnt out." She was planning on throwing the mixer out! My husband offered to take it off her hands. She didn't think it was fixable, so she was happy to get rid of it. We brought it home and he took it apart. The grease around the motor was so old it had solidified, and a gear was broken. We bought a replacement gear for $10, he cleaned out the old grease and applied new, and the mixer is now in excellent working condition. It is an awesome old workhorse, I make bread dough with it all the time. My MIL still had the original manual and gave it to me. My SIL just gritted her teeth when she found out her brother had fixed it. She ended up getting a new one a couple of years later, but apparently it's not as good as the old one; she hasn't been able to make bread with it.