View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 06:33 PM
khuxford

Zozee, no particular attachment to either. I just wish my mom's early 1900s singer hadn't been sold when they downsized in the early 70s. Had emotional attachment to that baby--it was the machine I learned to sew on.

Cecilia S and foufymaus, I neglected to mention I have a Bernina 240 as my primary machine and a 1980s Necchi that I use for a travel machine. Plus a small 4 thread serger. I spend a few weeks at a vacation home which of course has it's own set of machines, a Bernina 440 and a Janome Gem Gold as my travel machine. I am trying to rid myself of stuff in anticipation of downsizing in the next few years and knew I had those 2 old machines in the house that needed my attention.

Yes, the Kenmore is straight stitch only, forward and reverse.

I am going to bring the White into my guy next week and have him service it. I'll make a quilt on it and see if I like it. I could tell from just turning the wheel how solid and nice she felt. Maybe that exercise will hook me on the old machines!

I could easily be convinced to draw names out of a hat and ship the Kenmore to someone willing to split the cost of shipping. But first let me see what the service guy says about the condition of the White machine. Actually I think they are both White machines, found something somewhere that said the '117' in the model number of the Kenmore indicates it was made by White for Sears.

Thanks, all! I will keep you posted.