Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore 117.552 or White 3051-115 >

Kenmore 117.552 or White 3051-115

Kenmore 117.552 or White 3051-115

Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 PM

Default Kenmore 117.552 or White 3051-115

You all have been so inspiring! I knew I had some old machines I inherited from family members so I dug them out the other day and would like opinions on which one to keep. I've done some googling on both.

Kenmore 117.552 was hubby's grandmother's machine. Has foot on it, I see bobbin case, manual plus a cool parts list sheet stamped with '1947 price increases'. No accessories unfortunately. Greenish crinkly finish. Wheel will not turn. When grammy died in the mid 80s, it was given to me in a Sears cabinet. I'm guessing she last used it in the early 70s. Machine has been in the well of the cabinet in an extra room. No mice invasion. I don't see alot of rust (it was in So Cal until I got it in Colorado) but am sure it needs to be rewired. No foot pedal, but I see what I guess is the little box that makes it go with a knee lever attached to the side of the cabinet. All the wiring intact but worn looking.

White machine, model 3051-115. Have a small metal case of accessories and another small metal case with about 6 plastic cogs for various zig zag flavors. No manual, but have found one online. I bought this for my mom used in the late 70s. Luckily, the wheel turns freely, the accessory case has a business card of a sewing machine repairman and the piece of fabric under the presser foot looks like it was left there from last time it was serviced, as it is an example of all the stitches on a folded 4x6 piece of muslin so I'm guessing the last person to sew on it was a service person.

I'd like to keep one and find a loving home for the other one. I've been following these discussions on vintage machines for a few months but not sure I have the self confidence to tear open that Kenmore and start soaking it with machine oil and Tri Flow.

Here are photos of the two of them
Attached Thumbnails white_machine.jpg   kenmore_machine.jpg  
Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 PM

They are both classy-looking. Do you have more sentimental attachment to one of them?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:33 PM

Smile

Bah haaaaaaa haaa heee heeee teeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeee giggle snort, chuckle whoooooooooooooooooot, ha ha heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hoooooo ha ha haaaaaaaaa!

Everyone, did you hear that? Poor khuxford, thinking about keeping one and, WHAT?!?!?! Getting -rid- of one?!?!?!! Oh, such silliness. Getting rid of a machine?!?!? Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

We don't do that here. ;-) We just keep amazing stitchers. Beautiful, solid wonderful machines like the ones which you have. Treasures!

This is not the Quilting Board, it is the Enabling Board. We all share a common disease, MachinusMustusRescuitus.

Keep them both!

All in good fun, of course, everything I've said. But seriously, they are bother really lovely. Can you keep them both? If you -really- have to choose, I would vote for the Black White. Firstly, because how cool is that? A Black White. ;-) Secondly, it is a zag-zag, whereas the Kenmore appears to be straight stitch only? (Am I wrong?)

Do keep us posted. And feel free to listen to smarter, more sensible people than I. I have the disease quite badly; I have 8 machines and 2 more on the way. Insane. I know.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Bah haaaaaaa haaa heee heeee teeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeee giggle snort, chuckle whoooooooooooooooooot, ha ha heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hoooooo ha ha haaaaaaaaa!

Everyone, did you hear that? Poor khuxford, thinking about keeping one and, WHAT?!?!?! Getting -rid- of one?!?!?!! Oh, such silliness. Getting rid of a machine?!?!? Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

We don't do that here. ;-) We just keep amazing stitchers. Beautiful, solid wonderful machines like the ones which you have. Treasures!

This is not the Quilting Board, it is the Enabling Board. We all share a common disease, MachinusMustusRescuitus.

Keep them both!

All in good fun, of course, everything I've said..
LOL yes this exactly! hahahaha, but seriously i like the lines of the White but I adore the Kenmore...of course i seem to favor the Kenmores over the Singers...*wink* So...If i were you...I'd keep both! hehe *hand to heart* Yes i only began with one... and now i have 8...and i'm always on the look out for more. *wink*
Old 09-06-2013, 06:19 PM

If I didn't have to get rid of one, I wouldn't. Just sayin'. As for wondering about self-confidence to tear open the Kenmore to oil it, I can only say having a Kenmore has GIVEN me self-confidence to even start trying to get to know the guts of a machine. Besides , there are experts on here (and youtube).

The White looks more powerful, sturdier, and I love the way it shines. The Kenmore has cool angles, great color and may be lighter to carry??? Hard to say. Looks like the White is in better shape cosmetically. Eenie meanie miney mo!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Zozee, no particular attachment to either. I just wish my mom's early 1900s singer hadn't been sold when they downsized in the early 70s. Had emotional attachment to that baby--it was the machine I learned to sew on.

Cecilia S and foufymaus, I neglected to mention I have a Bernina 240 as my primary machine and a 1980s Necchi that I use for a travel machine. Plus a small 4 thread serger. I spend a few weeks at a vacation home which of course has it's own set of machines, a Bernina 440 and a Janome Gem Gold as my travel machine. I am trying to rid myself of stuff in anticipation of downsizing in the next few years and knew I had those 2 old machines in the house that needed my attention.

Yes, the Kenmore is straight stitch only, forward and reverse.

I am going to bring the White into my guy next week and have him service it. I'll make a quilt on it and see if I like it. I could tell from just turning the wheel how solid and nice she felt. Maybe that exercise will hook me on the old machines!

I could easily be convinced to draw names out of a hat and ship the Kenmore to someone willing to split the cost of shipping. But first let me see what the service guy says about the condition of the White machine. Actually I think they are both White machines, found something somewhere that said the '117' in the model number of the Kenmore indicates it was made by White for Sears.

Thanks, all! I will keep you posted.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 PM

Ooh!! coolness, If i had to choose choose, I'd go with the White simply cause it's pretty. LOL
Old 09-07-2013, 02:03 AM

And how do I get my name in the hat? That is, if we can't persuade you to keep both?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:42 AM

You've had them both for a while and they didn't take up much space. They are family. I'd keep them both.

The Kenmore can't be torn open to oil, there is no top or bottom covers. Perhaps an inspection plate on the back side, I'm not sure. At any rate just squirt Tri-Flow oil in every hole and let it soak. The same with the needle bar area and the underside. She'll free up. I have a Kenmore just like that one only in brown, a 117-812. It is one of the best straight stitch machines I have.
Oh, two things; the Kenmore turns opposite of the norm - away from you or clockwise, and the friction drive gear will be flat spotted from sitting against the hand wheel for so long. You'll need a new one before you use it.

Joe
Old 09-07-2013, 06:05 AM

If I HAD to make the choice, I would go for the White.