View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Jeanette Frantz

Default My New ("Old") National Treadle

I posted a thread on here last week about the National Treadle Machine I had acquired from down through the family, probably from my husband's great grandmother. I have discovered a little more about it through my son's research. I'm sure many of you are aware of the history behind this company, but I wasn't until the last couple of days. National Sewing Machine was the successor to Eldredge, and the predecessor to Janome! The machine I have is a National Two Spool Rotary and as close as we can figure out, was manufactured between 1914 and 1916, so she's an "old" gal for sure, although not quite a hundred! I have taken some pictures which I will post as soon as I can get them resized. She's really accumulated a lot of dirt, despite the fact that she's been in a residence for the past 40+ years. If these machines could only talk! I have ordered a new belt and am looking forward to cleaning her up and trying her out. It's been about 55 years since I used a treadle, so I'm probably classified as an "old gal" myself! LOL

Jeanette Frantz