Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My New ("Old") National Treadle >

My New ("Old") National Treadle

My New ("Old") National Treadle

Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 AM

Default My New ("Old") National Treadle

I posted a thread on here last week about the National Treadle Machine I had acquired from down through the family, probably from my husband's great grandmother. I have discovered a little more about it through my son's research. I'm sure many of you are aware of the history behind this company, but I wasn't until the last couple of days. National Sewing Machine was the successor to Eldredge, and the predecessor to Janome! The machine I have is a National Two Spool Rotary and as close as we can figure out, was manufactured between 1914 and 1916, so she's an "old" gal for sure, although not quite a hundred! I have taken some pictures which I will post as soon as I can get them resized. She's really accumulated a lot of dirt, despite the fact that she's been in a residence for the past 40+ years. If these machines could only talk! I have ordered a new belt and am looking forward to cleaning her up and trying her out. It's been about 55 years since I used a treadle, so I'm probably classified as an "old gal" myself! LOL

Jeanette Frantz
Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 AM

I have one too! Mine says "Eldredge Two Spool" but it was made after National took over. Mine is a later model. I think National brough back the Eldredge name for nostaligia. I have the original Certificate of Warrenty from National and it is dated May 1930

Looking forward to seeing pictures of yours - here is mine (well, my DH has informed me it's "His" machine LOL!)

Old 09-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Your Eldredge -- the decals are in much better condition than mine, but the machine is otherwise exactly the same. Mine just may not be as old as I think it is! Who knows. We haven't been able, yet, to tie the date to the serial number. LOL I still say, if only these old machines could talk!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 09-11-2013, 01:42 PM

if it helps, the serial number on mine is H61241. It sort of looks like there should be one more digit, but the Warranty states it's for model number 61241.

I believe the ones made by National with the "National" name are older than the ones made by National with the "Eldredge "name, however the ones made by Eldredge with the "Eldredge" name are the oldest of all.

I read on another site someone with a 4 digit serial number that there was made in 1913, but the person stating that didn't have any reference information to back it up. I know this model was made for many years, so you may have one of the earlier ones, and I have one of the later ones.

My manual has a date of 10-'25. When I first saw the add for mine, the seller said it was made in 1930 and I figured they were wrong based on everything online I read about them - but you can't argue with a date stamped Warranty Certificate LOL!!