View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 AM
JoyceHoopes

Love this thread as well. I'm a natural lefty in a family of right handed people. Have always just "loved" designations of right and left as though there is something wrong with us . In the early fifties when in preschool, I was lucky enough to have a left-handed teacher and a mother who made sure ahead of time that no one would try to change my hand orientation. By the time I was older, I'd trained myself to use both hands equally and can have never regretted it. Although my husband was a lefty as well, both children are right handed so either one of us was not truly a lefty - must have been him -- or left handedness as a recessive genetic trait must not be completely true. In college I wrote a paper on the travails of being left hand in a right handed world and keep coming up with new and different examples. Fortunately, quilting and other activities I do don't require one or the other in most cases. As I get older memory and remembering which hand I want to use aren't always easily accessed. At least I'm lucky and still have most of the use of both hands; forget the memory - I usually do Joyce cuddling in an air conditioned room with four furry beagle friends.