Old 09-16-2013, 09:57 AM
ArchaicArcane

I like the last one too, I didn't at first, but it has some motion to it, and it's not as visually symmetrical. I'm convinced that's a huge part of the reason that the piecing part of quilting hasn't really grabbed me. So many of the quilt patterns I see are too repetitious and symmetrical to my eye. I guess I'm naturally a "modern" quilter.

I think I might have been too literal with the design. The form is there. It's a perfect replica of the design used on the counter, but I think in a quilt, it would be just "blah". I could change the colors to add a third "block" to the mix, like the original block had, but I just don't know if that will fix the look? Any thoughts?

I've mocked up 3 quilts in EQ so far - A Labyrinth, Josephine's knot, and this one. I was sure the first one was wrong, but they all end up calling for around 13 yards of fabric! I was stunned!

A queen bed, with a 10" overhang in 3 directions makes an 80" x 92" quilt.
I just went and did the measurement a couple of minutes ago, I estimated last night while playing with EQ.

This EQ quilt is slightly mis-proportioned at 88x88, but would still fit the bed. EQ reports that for the first quilt above I need: 3 1/2 yards of fabric 1, 5 5/8 yards of fabric 2, and 2 1/8 yards of fabric 3 which comes in at 11 1/4 yards.

Josephine came in at 13 1/8 yards at 87 x 108" - yeah, I'll have to re-size that one after measuring the bed.

The Labyrinth (92 x 92) came in at 12 5/8 yards.

This is all based on 42" wide fabric.

80" x 92" = 2.25 yards x 2.55 yards = 5.75 yards
even if I add 50% (roughly 3 yards ) for errors and seams and waste, that's way less than the 11.25 yards that EQ is estimating...

I have to be missing something.