Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: quilt that looks like my bathroom counter?

quilt that looks like my bathroom counter?

Ok, I'm finally starting to see piecing inspiration, so I thought I should try to find something like this one.

Back when we bought this house, I tiled every counter surface in the house to lose the awful beat up arborite. The only really "creative" one was the ensuite bathroom. Yesterday I was looking at it, thinking... hmm... jacob's ladder... almost D9P, but not quite...

The "tile" is a tumbled marble, I've never been really keen on the "yellow/orange" tile, but the others remind me of what my mind's eye thinks Italy looks like. Not quite cobblestone, something else, and I can't place it. And I can't think of how to search for "some quilt pattern that looks like old world roads using tumbled marble".... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Name:  IMG_3895.JPG
Views: 3900
Size:  88.1 KB

Thanks

No idea for quilt pattern, but pretty counter and sink

Something like this?
    http://pineneedlesatgardnervillage.b...-tutorial.html
    I believe there was a tutorial on modabakeshop on something similar.

Edit: Just found it.
    http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/09/...pal-quilt.html
    Last edited by EasyPeezy; 08-25-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Reb

Smile Tiled roads

I use yahoo and searched tiled roads photos. A few pics in is a Jerusalem Tiled Road. I think it looks like your tile. The pattern not the tile itself. Thought you might like a point of reference.
    Last edited by Reb; 08-25-2013 at 11:46 PM.

slk350 - thanks! I worried the whole time I was doing it that I would stop liking it, but it's been 8 years, I still like the pattern.

EasyPeezy - thanks! This one has some potential! I didn't want to just try to make a quilt by piecing without some sort of guide because I don't have enough experience yet. I will see if I can audition some fabrics and get what my mind's eye is seeing. Most of what I have that are not "prints" are some various shades of blue batiks, so that's what I'll start with.

I also read all of the EQ guides that Rhonda wrote a couple years back last night so I will see if I can mock something up in EQ5 now that the program doesn't look so foreign to me. (Got a copy someone was throwing out)

Reb, Thanks for taking a peek for me! I didn't get much with the searches I was doing, but for some reason didn't ever hit those search terms. Isn't it great how all of our minds work differently to get all these different results? I really liked the one on iStockPhoto, the black and white one. Is that the one you were talking about?
    (I'm not sure about posting a pic from a Royalty free site, but since they're paid, I suspect it's a no no.)

Reb

it worked

stock-photo-16239765-jerusalem-tiled-road.jpg

That's the address. I don't know how to make it a link you can click on. I'm a newbie.

I posted it and I guess this will work to click on it. That was easy!
    Last edited by Reb; 08-26-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add to message

I think this is the first time I've heard of someone finding inspiration on the counter! I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Reb View Post
    stock-photo-16239765-jerusalem-tiled-road.jpg

That's the address. I don't know how to make it a link you can click on. I'm a newbie.

I posted it and I guess this will work to click on it. That was easy!
    Good job! Yes, we're referring to the same photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    I think this is the first time I've heard of someone finding inspiration on the counter! I like it!
    Well, to my embarrassment, I've been looking at it for 8 years and just this weekend thought,... heeeyyyy.....
    Yeah, I'm a little slow sometimes. Karen McTavish said though that Inspiration can be found everywhere. I guess I just didn't look that close to home, and certainly not in something I had "created".

I think it's a great idea! All our sinks are solid colors...so can I borrow your inspiration? Can't wait to see what you come up with!

I have long loved this book, though I haven't done any of the projects in it. Maybe to add to your inspiration? I can't find any pictures from within the book, alas.

Alison

Quote Originally Posted by narnianquilter View Post
    I think it's a great idea! All our sinks are solid colors...so can I borrow your inspiration? Can't wait to see what you come up with!
    Oh!! Of course! Yes! I will try to post something soon. I wanted to start playing today but my day went for cr**. Caught a young hooligan in our truck at 3:30 this morning, so I accomplished approximately nothing the rest of the day.
    I hope if you make anything based on it we'll see it as well??

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    I have long loved this book, though I haven't done any of the projects in it. Maybe to add to your inspiration? I can't find any pictures from within the book, alas.

Alison
    Ah,.. that looks like a fun one! I will keep an eye out for it, so I can flip through it and see if I like the quilts

I agree - would be a very pretty quilt - I see it made with Stonehenge fabrics and could you use your (real) tiles sizes as your pattern templates ? Please do show us what you come up with.

Blog Entries
    OH yeah! They would make a beautiful quilt. I like the Jeruselem tile road. They look like our cobble stone streets in Philadelphia.. For ideas you can try Marcia Hohns' site. That book is only $3.32 for a used one. I have bought many, many used books and found them to be just fine. I am compiling all the state documentation books and they are from the 80's and 90's.
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

Blog Entries
    Your bathroom sink idea brings to mind my own thoughts when I am sitting having my coffee in our sunroom every morning, studying the design in our linoleum floor. I think I can do that. I keep working on it every day, and maybe someday, I'll go right out to my sewing room and work my way through it. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Imagine the Moda pattern with landscaping fabric of sandstone! Gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
    I agree - would be a very pretty quilt - I see it made with Stonehenge fabrics and could you use your (real) tiles sizes as your pattern templates ? Please do show us what you come up with.
    OH! Now how did you know the Stonehenge fabrics are some of my favorites? I agree, that would look great! I think I kept a couple of tiles in the basement for "just in case", I'll see if I can dig them out right after I finish the corp taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter68 View Post
    OH yeah! They would make a beautiful quilt. I like the Jeruselem tile road. They look like our cobble stone streets in Philadelphia.. For ideas you can try Marcia Hohns' site. That book is only $3.32 for a used one. I have bought many, many used books and found them to be just fine. I am compiling all the state documentation books and they are from the 80's and 90's.
    The only reason I didn't order the book yesterday is I got tired and distracted after the 5th one who wouldn't ship to Canada and gave up. To buy the same used book on the Canadian amazon site is considerably more. I'll go back and try one night while I'm watching tv or something. The Quilter's Cache, yes, I've seen her site. I love it. I don't have the skills yet to make any of it, but I like looking.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
    Your bathroom sink idea brings to mind my own thoughts when I am sitting having my coffee in our sunroom every morning, studying the design in our linoleum floor. I think I can do that. I keep working on it every day, and maybe someday, I'll go right out to my sewing room and work my way through it. Thanks for the inspiration.
    I do that too Mostly up until now I'd see FMQ patterns. The piecing one made me so happy because my frame is empty, and I don't usually find that I like the piecing part. So if I have something like this that I want to create.... yay

I think I'm going to start on paper, or bond with EQ. I'll scan some of my fabrics and try to make it as true to life as possible and post when I get something , anything for some input.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    Imagine the Moda pattern with landscaping fabric of sandstone! Gorgeous!
    Oooh! I like this Looks like I will be able to replace my ugly red first quilt sooner than I thought with all of these ideas

I love your counter! I think the Japanese taupes would really look great in your quilt.

I love your tiled bathroom counter. Even the yellow -I think is adds a warmth demention. anyway if you're still looking why not search for Italian roads or ancient Italian roads to see what kind of name it has and search for that.

Stonehenge by Northcott has fabric that would work perfect.
    Sorry, I just rolled back up the screen & see someone else has already suggested this fabric.

JanieH - I've been looking for an excuse to pick up some of those Japanese fabrics! DH will be so pleased. LOL!

starshine - What an excellent idea! I'm going to try to poke around a little that way and see if I can find some other patterns to use.

needles3thread - absolutely nothing wrong with recommending the same as others. I love the look of the Stonehenge line. I think the first Quilt I ever really "liked" and would do exactly as was is the Stonehenge Aphrodite It's the top row, second column on this page: http://www.quilttrendsmag.com/issues...napshots.shtml

Nice bathroom design. I can see that border on a quilt.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I think this is the pattern. On the sink, I counted over 3 tiles and up 3 tiles. Good job detective!
    Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

54489-217-C705B6C476DE98CADA519A8EEE8772D6

I've found inspiration in public restroom floors. :-)
    Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

54489-217-C705B6C476DE98CADA519A8EEE8772D6

I have a quilt top done with the Stonehenge fabrics. I'll picture it sometime on here. Love it. (it's a swirly
    applique in oranges, browns, creams etc. that I saw made up in the fabric store)

Pretty, on the list!
    :-( I wish I was a full time quilter!
    Andrea (Margate, FL)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast