Thread: Want!!
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Mdaniels

Originally Posted by sustraley View Post
Ok, I have been quilting for about 3 years now. I have a singer sewing machine that is about 30-35 years old. Used it a lot when I made clothes and Halloween costumes. I bought a Brother a couple of years ago to do my piecing on. At some point I will purchase something better. I don't mean to sound dumb, but what is the fascination with the machines such as the ones shown on this post? Someone please fill me in.
Honestly? I loved my grandmother and she loved to sew and was great at it. Vintage machines remind me of her. Not one in particular, but just the good old metal singers. I love the smell of them and the musty scent of their carrying cases and desks. I love finding a gem of a machine that has lived to sew hundreds of items and still hums along proudly. And I love that I can generally seem to learn how to maintain these older, solid machines. It is fun to me to oil them and care for them. I guess that it's primarily sentimental. Not that I don't have a few modern machines, and I love and appreciate them for their efficiency and what I can do with them...but I have to keep their manuals out to refer to. Not as simple as my singers. Sometimes simple just feels good.