Want!!

Old 09-17-2013, 03:18 PM

Because they are awesome!

Most of the sewing machines made today are of poor quality, and are not made to last for decades like the machines in this, and many other threads here.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by sustraley View Post
Ok, I have been quilting for about 3 years now. I have a singer sewing machine that is about 30-35 years old. Used it a lot when I made clothes and Halloween costumes. I bought a Brother a couple of years ago to do my piecing on. At some point I will purchase something better. I don't mean to sound dumb, but what is the fascination with the machines such as the ones shown on this post? Someone please fill me in.
If one is not comforted by the quiet click-click of the 201 or 15 and not impressed with the tight stitch of the Necchi BU it's hard to explain. But if one is comforted by the click-click and impressed with the stitch of a vintage machine, it's hard to go back to a new wonder that does even the thinking for you.

Last edited by Vridar; 09-17-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

The old machines are totally GREEN - they will not be in a land fill if they are cared for and used. The plastic wonders are a done deal - they are NOT green and WILL end up in a landfill in a few years - I highly doubt if they will last 100 years. Then, too, older machines can usually be revived even if they have been badly taken care of if given enough TLC - if that doesn't work they can be used to rescue other older well made machines. Don't get me wrong there are some old machines that aren't worth the bother. Learn all you can by reading the vintage sewing machine posts here on QB. Educate yourself - think for yourself... (I know that is rare...)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by sustraley View Post
Ok, I have been quilting for about 3 years now. I have a singer sewing machine that is about 30-35 years old. Used it a lot when I made clothes and Halloween costumes. I bought a Brother a couple of years ago to do my piecing on. At some point I will purchase something better. I don't mean to sound dumb, but what is the fascination with the machines such as the ones shown on this post? Someone please fill me in.
Honestly? I loved my grandmother and she loved to sew and was great at it. Vintage machines remind me of her. Not one in particular, but just the good old metal singers. I love the smell of them and the musty scent of their carrying cases and desks. I love finding a gem of a machine that has lived to sew hundreds of items and still hums along proudly. And I love that I can generally seem to learn how to maintain these older, solid machines. It is fun to me to oil them and care for them. I guess that it's primarily sentimental. Not that I don't have a few modern machines, and I love and appreciate them for their efficiency and what I can do with them...but I have to keep their manuals out to refer to. Not as simple as my singers. Sometimes simple just feels good.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:56 PM

Thanks Miriam.