View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 06:15 AM
DBaila

Default Binding Foot for thick layers?

Hi again everyone! First, thanks so much for all the help with my Singer 301 which I received with a broken part. She's now set up in her cabinet and running beautifully!

I'm now playing gleefully with the attachments (she came with two boxes of them - part of why I bid on this particular machine).

I quilt, but also make musical instrument accessories to sell. The most dreaded part of any instrument case is attaching the bias binding to the internal seams at the very end. It's a NIGHTMARE! I've tried doing it the 2-step way and the 1-step. Luckily, it's a bit forgiving because once the case (which is semi-rigid) is flipped right-side out again, these seams are a bit recessed and hidden (what with all that stabilized fabric, foam, etc... in the gusset and main panels). But, I'm a perfectionist so I'd like to get it perfect!

My question is about the vintage bias binding foot that came with my machine (and was standard for all of these machines, I believe). I haven't been able to figure out a way to use it for my purposes yet as the layers that I have to fold the binding tape around are VERY thick. The two main layers of fabric (the main panel and the gusset) are stabilized with the absolute heaviest craft stabilizer/interfacing so that it's cardboard-thick. The lining is Kona cotton interfaced with light fusible, so not too thick, but still - two layers of that.

Is there some kind of trick, by chance, to get these through the binder so that I can use that attachment? Or, if not, any ideas on another attachment (such as a hemmer- I have 10 of them!) that might work in a pinch? Obviously another foot wouldn't feed the bias tape through, but anything that could just help to hold everything flush to the right would be fantastic! My biggest issue is with the slippery tape sliding off and, before I know it, I end up sewing the bias binding tape to itself - no raw seams in the middle - and have to rip it out. So frustrating but so common because of the many curves in these cases (especially the ukulele cases - so small and curvy!).

Any tips at all (not just related to the vintage attachments) would be much appreciated!