Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 PM
ArchaicArcane

I was babbling about 3 different quilts.

I think this is what I'm going to do:

A lap quilt - based on the counter. May be browns or browns and blues. I still need to settle on color before I'm going to go out an find the fabrics. I think as a lap quilt, I may leave the design as is, and embellish with thread. I may just migrate to the Aphrodite marbles, I agree with that you said about it looking like tiles. I know where they can be had at the moment.

The Batiks are for the Labyrinth I want to do. This will go on the bed once it's finished. Hopefully in this millennium the way I quilt. Here's a gorgeous example. Mine won't look nearly this good when it's done. These are my first HST and I'm a realist. http://suedaurio.blogspot.ca/2012/02...-ready-to.html I've ironed 2/3 of the fabric, and cut 2 strips so far. Watch out world! At this rate, maybe next millennium is more realistic.

The Quilt I loved the first time I saw it, and would still build it exactly as I saw it was the Aphrodite quilt. Top middle picture on this page: http://www.quilttrendsmag.com/issues...napshots.shtml I'm currently hunting for those fabrics. I have found the marbles, and I'm on a marble kick at the moment (which is what prompted me to go looking for the Aphrodite stuff again.), it's the medallion and border ones I'm looking for all in one place. There was a kit, I missed it. I'm going to horde on this one until I get all the fabrics, then I -will- make it. I've been thinking about it for 9 months. I've been a "quilter" possibly only a couple months longer than that.

I can plan many projects at once. Then I ruminate on the ones I didn't start while I work on the one I did start. That way, the next one is pretty much already figured out in my head when I'm ready to start it. I think I learned that as a business analyst. They'd put me on 5 different projects, and I'd have to juggle. I think if I tried to cut more than one at once, my head would explode.

We can continue to post in this thread, I'm sure, it's not bothering anyone. But I will PM you as I get further along. I was thinking of blogging my progress. A lot of pressure though, if I get frustrated, I can't quit.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't feeling well enough to quilt. You're right though, rotary cutters demand the utmost control from you. I've been looking hard at a couple of the alternative rulers out there like the quilter's slide lock for the same reasons. I'm not shaky all the time, just sometimes, but it would be nice to cut when I feel like it, not just when my hands will let me. I'd love to know how your DF likes her quilt. I'm sure the label is fine.

Found an interesting thing in EQ today. EQ5 says that the labyrinth needs 12 5/8 yards of fabric. EQ7 says 7 7/8 yards. The pattern says 10 3/4 yards! They calculate differently. 5 assumes that the borders are not pieced, 7 assumes that they are. That's a huge difference, and could be really detrimental when buying the fabric for something you don't have an actual pattern for. I haven't seen anywhere to change that assumption. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't created the project in 5 then opened it in 7. I went and got the "extra" fabric I was afraid I was short anyway. I cleaned out the city apparently. I think that in all of Edmonton, there's something like 3.5m left (just under 4 yards) See the pitfalls you miss using a Mac?

I will definitely let you know my progress. A little accountability is a good thing,... right?