Old 09-21-2013, 03:19 PM
asabrinao

Default Janome DC2030 or Babylock Grace or or or?

Hi, Everyone,

I'm new to the thread and can't wait to read more. Learning a lot already. I'm a beginning-ish quilter--I've made half a dozen quilts over the course of as many years, but would like to invest more time and energy into my hobby. I've made three quilts entirely by hand and three others on a 1918 Singer sewing machine--one of the first portable, electronic models ever made (I bought her at a thrift store for $25 thirteen years ago). This old beast has been very good to me--but she's really loud, she vibrates, she weighs 45 pounds, and her tension control is iffy.

My budget is $500, give or take. My old Singer gave me a lot of good practice with the basics (she only had one stitch), so I'd like my next machine to be one that will take me to the next level (FMQ, machine applique, etc.). I live in a small space so a machine I can put away will be helpful.

The two models I've looked at so far are the Janome DC2030 and the Babylock Grace. Both are within my price range. Does anyone own either one of these models? Or know anything about similar models? Any other models I should look at? Is it essential I have dual feed? Is an attachable walking foot okay or do I really need to upgrade to a machine that has an attached one?

Though I've made a handful of quilts, I've never bought a new sewing machine before. My vintage singer is the equivalent to a bike with a single gear, so any advice is welcome!

Thank you!
Sabrina