Old 09-29-2013, 09:45 AM
asabrinao

Default Adventures in New Machine Shopping: Narrowed it down to two!

Hi,

You all have been really helpful with questions about new sewing machines, so I'm sending out another query. I think I've narrowed it down to two machines, though both are kind of different with very different price tags. I've been quilting for half a dozen years or so, having made three quilts by hand and three others on an absolutely ancient, hand-me-down Singer that gave out long ago (the three I quilted by machine were my first three). Basically, I've been shopping for my first real sewing machine or, as one QB member aptly dubbed my first "I'm really serious about quilting" machine.

The machine I REALLY want is the Juki TL-2010q. But, the 1k price tag intimidates me. I know it's actually kind reasonable as far as really good machines go, but for me it's a lot of money, and it's my first machine. However, I loved test sewing on it, loved that it was mechanical, and loved the generous harp.

The other machine I'm thinking about is the Juki HZL-35Z. It runs at about $300 (my original budget when I started looking was $500). It's smaller, but has more stitches on it; it's also mechanical and really sturdy. I have no experience in garment sewing and don't know that I'd actually like it, but I'd like to take some tentative first steps in that direction (the TL wouldn't necessarily preclude me from going in that direction, but it would definitely make it a little harder, since the TL is a single-stitch machine). Yes, the throat space is small, but keep in mind I've been piecing and quilting by hand for awhile now.

So, bite the bullet and invest in the more expensive machine?
Or, play it safe and get the more economical machine and save the TL for my next machine?

Thoughts?

Experiences on either one of these machines?

Thanks for all your help!