Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Adventures in New Machine Shopping: Narrowed it down to two! >

Adventures in New Machine Shopping: Narrowed it down to two!

Adventures in New Machine Shopping: Narrowed it down to two!

Old 09-29-2013, 09:45 AM

Default Adventures in New Machine Shopping: Narrowed it down to two!

Hi,

You all have been really helpful with questions about new sewing machines, so I'm sending out another query. I think I've narrowed it down to two machines, though both are kind of different with very different price tags. I've been quilting for half a dozen years or so, having made three quilts by hand and three others on an absolutely ancient, hand-me-down Singer that gave out long ago (the three I quilted by machine were my first three). Basically, I've been shopping for my first real sewing machine or, as one QB member aptly dubbed my first "I'm really serious about quilting" machine.

The machine I REALLY want is the Juki TL-2010q. But, the 1k price tag intimidates me. I know it's actually kind reasonable as far as really good machines go, but for me it's a lot of money, and it's my first machine. However, I loved test sewing on it, loved that it was mechanical, and loved the generous harp.

The other machine I'm thinking about is the Juki HZL-35Z. It runs at about $300 (my original budget when I started looking was $500). It's smaller, but has more stitches on it; it's also mechanical and really sturdy. I have no experience in garment sewing and don't know that I'd actually like it, but I'd like to take some tentative first steps in that direction (the TL wouldn't necessarily preclude me from going in that direction, but it would definitely make it a little harder, since the TL is a single-stitch machine). Yes, the throat space is small, but keep in mind I've been piecing and quilting by hand for awhile now.

So, bite the bullet and invest in the more expensive machine?
Or, play it safe and get the more economical machine and save the TL for my next machine?

Thoughts?

Experiences on either one of these machines?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 AM

go with what feels the best for you. if you can afford it. usually you sit down to a machine, sew on it and it just feels that it fits you.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:13 AM

I absolutely love my TL Juki but it is not my first or only machine. I use it almost exclusively for all my piecing and definitely all of my machine quilting but I also have a Husqvarna with lots of fancy stitches and a vintage Singer 201 set up with a buttonholer (I make a lot of bags and kid's stuff) as well as quilt. You might be better with the smaller all purpose machine to start with and then save for the larger machine for machine quilting.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:59 AM

First you need to decide if you want a straight stitch only machine or one with more stitches. I've go the Juki TL2010 and it's awesome! Worth every penny I spent. I use it almost exclusively when I am sewing straight stitches. For other stitches, I have a Viking Sapphire 830. Even though the Viking has a similar width harp, there is more space and better viability with the Juki. I bought it sight unseen, never having tried it based on reviews I'd read. I have absolutely no regrets!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 PM

I do use a lot of stitches other than straight. I use the blind hem, button holes, button hole stitch for embroidery ZigZag for Applique, some special stitches ....etc.

So the question for you should be - What other stitches will I use in quilting and general sewing and do I have a machine that can do them? Will I do Free Motion Quilting? If you are aiming for FMQ - then go for the larger harp IMHO - if you are just starting out and think you might like to try FMQ and you will have only one machine then I would go for the machine with more stitches.

This is coming from someone who has five machines - lol!! Just my honest thoughts.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 PM

I have two Juki machines - the 2010q and a F600 - and love them! If you can swing the $$ and can get by with only a straight stitch I would go for the 2010q. It is the perfect machine for quilting in my opinion! I have talked to many happy quilters who have this machine, it is so solid, has a beautiful stitch and the size of the throat and especially the height of the machine give you lots of work room. And it is so fast! I feel like I will be sewing on it for many years.

But if you need other stitches too I'd go with the other model and start saving for your second machine.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

I would buy the straight stitch machine and then buy an inexpensive multi stitch machine later. It's getting close to Christmas and there will be great buys on small multi stitch machines online.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:29 AM

I have a Juki TL 98Q and could not quilt without it. I do all piecing and FMQing on it. I would go for the more expensive Juki and buy a used or inexpensive new machine with the fancy stitches. I do use a lot of different stitches in my quilting so would hate to do without them, but the Juki is so great, and does such a good job (problem free) at FMQing.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

i have the juki tl98q [older model of your choice above] and i just loved it! it's fantastic for piecing and i also used it on my quilt frame. for my quilting needs, i didn't need any fancy stitches.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 AM

I just purchased the Juki 2010Q as my second machine. I love it and use it exclusively for straight stitch and machine quilting. It is very sturdy, user friendly, sews really nice straight stitches and love the bigger harp. I like the thread cutter. It also doesn't require you to keep pulling the thread out once it's cut before you start stitching again.

My other is a Bernina 630. I really like this machine, and have now been using it almost exclusively for machine embroidery.

I saved up for almost a year in order to be able to afford the Juki. Look around on ebay, craig's list and the Yahoo Group "Sew its for sale". Two weeks after I purchased mine (about $1K which included tax and a number of accessories), I saw one that was used, but very low mileage, on sale on Yahoo for about half price. Be patient and wait until you can afford what you really want.