Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 AM
ArchaicArcane

One thing I learned when I was in "computer school" is that I tend to struggle with the simpler topics, but the more complex come "easier". It was really frustrating at the time, and I think I developed a "bad" habit of skipping the easier stuff. Luckily, the Internet these days can help you move in huge jumps. I think it was only this year that I learned to use a seam ripper properly.

My neighbor popped by last night, and she mentioned that if you do HST by sewing the square then cutting them apart, they make a perfect HST every time. Picking a pattern that it's easy to succeed at helped. The labyrinth is deceptively easy. It looks a lot harder than it is. I couldn't have done a pattern that repeated over and over. I think that's what's held me back from piecing. That sort of look bothers me somehow.

I'm a perfectionist to a fault. I ripped a seam out because I didn't like the way it matched. As I was doing it, I stuck the seam ripper through the fabric at the seam. I would have been better off with the imperfect seam. I'm learning that perfectionism hurts sometimes. I tend to rush the project near the end too, I get a little tired of the project and want to move on, but I don't want to leave it half finished. As it is, it's making me a little crazy. I haven't made progress all weekend, because I was busy, and I want those borders on so I can load it on the frame.

I've decided on a 4" Navy border, a 2" white Border, followed by a 12" Navy border, and I'll make the quilt 96" square. Sewing Circle starts tonight, so I hope to get those on tonight, then get it loaded.

Believe it or not, I have no real ideas at all for the FMQ. Feathers would be "the old standby", but I thought I might lay it out when it's finished and see if it would tell me what it wants.