Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

When I first started quilting in the early 90's I also bought from JoAnnes. I hand quilted those quilts and one is in my guest room so gets very little use. Like you, the fabrics in my quilt have also started to disintegrate away and faded way beyond what I consider reasonable. If it takes me years to complete a quilt, I want it to last decades!

I find JoAnne's pricing tactics unfair and I don't find many of their fabrics to be as nice as name brand stuff, such as Hoffman, Kaufman, Moda, etc. The prices are inflated so they can offer those 40 to 60% off coupons. I just get a bad taste in my mouth from that so I only shop JoAnn for notions and cutting tools when I have a good coupon or they are having a killer sale. I am much happier with fabric I can find on line on sale or at an LQS. I aslo do an annual pilgrimage to Mennonite shops in the finger lakes which are very reasonably priced. I have gotten great deals on line and I have never been disappointed in the quality of the fabric I receive. Sometimes the color isn't exactly what I expected. In those cases it goes into stash. I mostly stash shop anyway. Then when project time comes I pull from stash and maybe have to go to the LQS for one or two fabrics for the project.