Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ? >

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
In UK we have a cheap fabric shop called abakhan. I was told by a QSOwner they sold cheap fabric. They have a section of craft fabric pieces,where I have been known to shop. Recently at a course the teacher said it was very good quality fabric I had where did I buy it should I tell the truth? I must admit I am very careful what I buy. But I do find some shops have the same differences in quality.
Look but mainly feel the fabric it tells you a great deal.
I was in Abakhan a week ago, and was amazed at the price of their Christmas fabric, sold by weight. It was double the price of the regular craft fabric. the craft fabric is very hit and miss. The assistant could not tell me why it was so much more expensive. A lot of their fabric is second s, regarding printing, and what I saw last week was not quilting fabric quality. have become very disillusioned with Abakhan.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:18 PM

From what I understand - when a manufacture is preparing to run a print - they first run it on a thinner fabric - to test the print and adjust the colors. This fabric is then sold to the discount fabric stores.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:23 PM

Thanks for all the information, it is very helpful to me. While I have to watch my budget, buying cheep fabric that wont last is really not saving anything. For the little time I have to make quilts for my kids I want the items to last. I think we have a QS up the highway 30 minutes or so, and I will take my next opportunity to check it out. Maybe when my daughters are older, they will want to sew/quilt and we can shop together, but since the oldest daughter is three, that maybe some time from now!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:49 AM

I bought batiks for a special quilt gift at the LQS. Paid $10 - $12/yd for it. It had just as many slubs and miswoven areas as any I have bought at the chains. Once again, look over very carefully before you buy. Look at both sides when they are measuring to scope out flaws. I've had good and bad luck with online shops. Just not always getting what I expected.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:17 AM

My advice would be to go to Joann's and experience for yourself the quality of fabric. If you are happy with it, then by all means purchase it!! Not everyone can afford to purchase fabrics that are more pricey. I have purchased fabrics at Joann's as well as WalMart and I do purchase a great deal online as many have said, the prices are sometimes more affordable. But... you do get some surprises, mostly on color being different than what your computer screen shows. I'd say take a trip to Joann Fabrics and have a great time seeing what they have!!
JMHO