Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ? >

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

Old 10-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Joann's prices the fabric higher so that you feel you are getting a 'deal' with a coupon or a sale since they know most of those who buy a lot of fabric wait for the sales.

I DO use Joann's quilter's fabric (on a sale) for tied quilts or wall hangings or 'general' gifts. I save the quiltshop fabric for projects for myself or gifts for family and friends or swaps. I don't hesitate to use Joann's fabrics for children's quilts because kid's tastes' change every 3 or 4 years as they age. Note: I use quilt shop 'scraps' to make quilts for hospitalized kids as the quilts often become part of the family's therapy. I want them to last.

Don't beat yourself up. If you can't afford the higher prices of quilt shop fabric, my suggestion is to buy only when there is a sale OR simply make fewer quilts and enjoy your higher quality materials. Alternatively, just choose to save for it. Lots of quilters in my area use the sales primarily to buy backing only.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 10-04-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:05 PM

My great-grandmother made quilts with feedsacks, old clothing, and muslin and I still enjoy them. She didn't go to her LQS or other specialty store. I, personally, don't make quilts that will be in a museum in 100 years--relax, enjoy, and use what you can afford.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:49 PM

Woodster - I'm between the two! My preference is for Keuka, it's smaller and quieter. Canandaigua has more $, lots more boat traffic, etc.

Today I stopped @ Edgewood, I only bought one fabric from the sale tables outside, but also bought some of their regular priced fabric. Moda's were $6.95/yd; Hoffman batiks were $7.50/yd. They do not have as much selection as Golden Lane. Have to go to pick up a new foot @ Penn Yan Sewing tomorrow, so will probably stop @ Ada's then, too. Will give an update on her prices.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
I stay away from Joann's fabrics. I think that while their prices have skyrocketed, their quality has not followed suit. Even with a coupon, you're still getting an inferior product, you're just paying a bit less for it, and don't you want your quilt to last throughout the years? I say, if you're going to go through all the work of making a quilt, why not make it out of the highest quality fabric you can get. On the other hand, if you're only making pot holders or pillow cases then I suppose Joann's is fine.
I think it depends on the fabric you want - there is lesser quality fabric I noticed for sure, but then they also have some lovely better quality fabrics that do cost more, similar to quilting shop fabrics. Today I purchased several yards of their Legacy Studio fabrics and it is quite nice and I had a 40% off coupon. You just have to look closely at the fabric and feel it - it's easy to tell if it's better quality usually.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:03 PM

I do not think that Joanne's has the same quality of fabric that they had in the past nor do I think they have a good selection of quilting fabric. I still shop there but I am very careful when buying fabric.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:32 AM

I made a color controlled scrappy in purples and green. I had bought a bunch of LQS quality fabric, but found some nice colors in Joann's. I bought it, mixed the two, and I swear the Joannes fabric has faded and worn so much more than the quilt shop stuff.. Everyone has a choice of where they buy and I simply will never buy from them again. I am shocked at the prices they have their fabrics at and you can tell most of these fabrics are just not as nice. I buy muslin and stabilizer there but that's it.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:43 AM

You really need to feel the fabric and decide yourself if you like it. There is not hard fast rtule that says LQS fabric is best. I just bought a really nice apple fabric with corrdinating color at a LQS but quess what it feels really flimsy and not nas tight woven as some others. I bought it because I liked the pattern/color. I did not "pet" the fabric so lesson learned- I will pet the fabric better next time.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:22 PM

Last update on Mennonite shops: Stopped @ Ada's today; paid $7.10 - $8 / yd for Moda & Andover. Batiks were $8.40/yd.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:33 PM

I have not had any problems with fabrics I bought at Joannes. But, I check the fabric before I buy and if it seems too thin or woven loosely, I don't get it. I can't afford full prices fabs at LQS and fabrics they usually have on sale or clearance are not very pretty or nice colors, at least that's what I have found. I do live about an hour away from Marden's in Sanford, ME and they have LQS quality fabs at 4.99 and 5.99 a yard. But usually it's last year's prints or whatever. Still good fabric at a good price. I have ordered fabric on line on sale and liked what I have received. Wish I could spend more on fabric, but right now I can't. Oh well....must buy a lottery ticket!
Old 10-05-2013, 04:47 PM
GG

I have made a baby quilt and at 9 months my niece brought me the quilt to repair and the 4 patches had all shreaded apart.I was just sick I had hand applique horses and manes out of yarn and really cute but I learned a lesson .