Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ? >

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:48 AM

Oh please, all my quilty sisters, shop for all your quilting supplies at LQS. If you do not support us we will have to close our doors and the magnificent heirlooms will have to be done with inferior fabrics. IT IS tempting to pay a little less at J's, HL and WM but in the end it will be worth it.
I have some pieces made from clothing in the 30's made in the USA) that have stood up way better that cheapy stuff of today.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:57 AM

I love LQS however the nearest one is over an hour away and with gas prices at $4.99 a gallon it's somewhat prohibitive. Interestingly enough, I have found the same fabrics at the chain stores just need to know what to look for. On line shopping is a hit or miss with free shipping: otherwise that can become cost prohibitive. In the end, it's buy the best can can afford wherever the location.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:16 AM

I was so excited when we got a Joann's store in Chattanooga awhile back, but my excitement quickly turned to disappointment. The fabric section seems disorganized and cluttered, and it's hard to find anything of decent quality. The sale tags aren't very clear, making it confusing as to what's actually on sale and what isn't. And their coupons are just a gimmick when it comes to fabric. Everything you think you might use a coupon with, is "on sale", meaning the coupon won't be accepted. Although I asked nicely, they flat refuse to adjust the price back to normal so that you can use the coupon. In fact, one of the employees was quite rude about it, and told me to go to Hobby Lobby because they will adjust the price there. And that's exactly what I did.

I, too, avoid their fat quarters and calico wall. Even though the selection is really good, the fabric is super-thin. Meh.

We have a Hancock's store, too, but I stopped going there completely. It's a jumbled-up, disorganized, chaotic mess. The aisles are so narrow that two people can't pass each other. There's no way I can navigate the store in my wheelchair.

I mainly stick to fabric.com, or I go to Hobby Lobby if it's something I need immediately.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by kbeuchert View Post
I didn't see anyone mention it here, so let me suggest to you that you check out connectingthreads.com They have really nice fabric at very reasonable prices. I've never had a problem with ordering from them. I am almost always dissapointed when I go to our local Joannes(60miles away).
I just ordered from Connecting Threads last week and one piece of fabric came with a small rip in it. They are replacing the whole piece, no questions asked. They did not want the damaged piece back.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 AM

When I was a beginning quilter, I, too, thought that JoAnn's, Walmart, and Hancock's (not to be confused
with Hancock's of Padukah) was just fine. And, there were not many quilt shops back then either.
However, as I progressed as a quilter, and especially after I ran an on-line quilt shop for several years,
I saw the difference in their fabrics and Quilt Shop Only fabric. Sometimes at the chain stores they have
fabric from major manufacturers (never Moda or Hoffman, though) that looks identical to QSO fabric. But,
it is what they call first run fabric from those manufacturers that they run on really cheap cotton to get all
the kinks out of it. It is not printed on the fine quality cotton that you find in QSO fabric. It is very flimsy
and absolutely does not hold up over time like the other. I know it seems like a lot more money to buy
QSO fabric, but in the long run, when you put that much work into a quilt, you want it to last. Also, if
you shop on-line, you can find some really good deals on QSO fabric through their sales, etc. I have taught
many people to quilt over the years, and I would never recommend the chain store fabric now, unless they
use it on their first quilt while they are learning how to make quilts and don't want to put a lot of money into
it until they know if they like doing it or not.
Marcia
Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I keep telling people, come to the Finger Lakes!

Edgewood recently expanded significantly, and is now open on Wednesdays. They are having their tent sale this weekend, where fabrics start at $3.50/yard.

Golden Lane is moving; they will close 11/1 and reopen on 11/10. Ada's prices are a little more, but still well under $10/yd.
We may be heading that way next summer. Which lake are you near? We used to vacation in Canandaigua and Keuka.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
1) Joann's flannel. I have made 36" receiving blankets for flannel at joann and yes it has fadded but the blankets are 5-6 yrs old, have had hundreds oif washings and gone the 4 GGK and are now being used as doll blankets.
2) have gotten fabric from Connecting thread and found that it was fairly thin and not really good quality. I will not buy from them again on-.line. Too much trouble to return.
The flannel that is 5-6 years old in your receiving blankets was much better quality than what they are selling now. If you still have some in your stash, treasure it as it is far superior to what they sell now.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:16 PM

I only buy at JoAnn's with coupons.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 PM

The last piece of Moda I bought on a trip didn't have the "feel" I am used to.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
My pet peave is when you buy a half, quarter, eighth of a yard and it is cut so off the bolt uneven ... so you actually get 2-3 inches less, they don't cut it straight. I just had that happen buying fabric online. At Joanne's I ask them to check to make sure they are cutting it straight so I don't waste my money.
I will be returning my 16" half yard of Waverly...50%off made it 19$/yard...really wish the staff was trained on cutting on the straight-of-grain.