View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 05:04 AM
Misty's Mom

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Be sure to go to a store where you can tell they know about the machine you are buying. I've had a terrible experience with my purchase. So, not to whine, but maybe my story can help someone else. I make donation quilts primarily. So when I found out about the AquFil quilting system available on the Janome, it seemed like just the ticket. But that requires it to be an embroidery machine. Which means big bucks. So for several years I have muddled along with my old Viking. Then, just recently my elderly mother gave me some money to do something "fun" with. (half the cost) So I started researching the Janome Models and tried to find a store to go to. I ended up at Alexander's Sew and Vac in Durham, NC as opposed to a quilt shop. I live out in the boonies and that was the closest place(still half an hour) I figured that would be a good place for service should it become necessary. The saleswoman seemed to know the functions of the machine and assured me the AquFil Quilt Software was included. Well, it wasn't. So at first she tried to sell it to me. I said no and that I'd bring the machine back. Well, she really didn't want it back. She wanted to have room for the new 15000 she had coming in. So she agreed to cover the cost. She has no clue how to operate the software and now isn't even returning my calls for help. So my advice would be to drive how ever far it takes to find a dealer that will help you after the sale. She said there would be one on one lessons. But when I asked for them she said after the first of the year. I have had to find a quilt shop that is 45 minutes away that is going to be giving a class to two buyers. The sales person there has been delightful and is willing to let me come even though I didn't purchase from her. That store is Wish Upon a Quilt in Raleigh, NC. So service after the sale is almost as important as the features on the machine.
Send an email to janome and tell them about your problems. They want to make sure their dealers are taking care of you. I'm lucky, my dealer knows these machines thoroughly. No wonder he's the largest dealer in Texas