Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Sewing Machine >

New Sewing Machine

New Sewing Machine

Old 10-14-2013, 04:22 AM

Default New Sewing Machine

Just when I think I know exactly which new sewing machine to buy, I come across another thread that talks about another wonderful machine. I know what features I really want in a machine and have found various makes and models which have all of those features, but .... My question is: how can you research the quality of the machine that you are thinking of buying. I currently own a twenty year old Pfaff which I love (just want an upgrade) but that was made in Germany. The new ones aren't. I have read that some Berninas aren't made in Switzerland any more. Is the country of origin really important?I really need help!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 AM

You have to chose the one that is best for you. I have 2 Pfaff machines. One is an older one, a 7550 and the other is a newer one, a 2144. I have not had any problems with either of them. I love the IDT feature. I have sewn on other machines at work and in stores and the IDT is the deciding factor for me. I personally will upgrade to another Pfaff the next time I get a new machine. I am sold on the brand no matter where it's made. A good dealer is very important with the high end machines. They can help you get the most for your money and help you use the machine to it's fullest.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:00 AM

Be sure to go to a store where you can tell they know about the machine you are buying. I've had a terrible experience with my purchase. So, not to whine, but maybe my story can help someone else. I make donation quilts primarily. So when I found out about the AquFil quilting system available on the Janome, it seemed like just the ticket. But that requires it to be an embroidery machine. Which means big bucks. So for several years I have muddled along with my old Viking. Then, just recently my elderly mother gave me some money to do something "fun" with. (half the cost) So I started researching the Janome Models and tried to find a store to go to. I ended up at Alexander's Sew and Vac in Durham, NC as opposed to a quilt shop. I live out in the boonies and that was the closest place(still half an hour) I figured that would be a good place for service should it become necessary. The saleswoman seemed to know the functions of the machine and assured me the AquFil Quilt Software was included. Well, it wasn't. So at first she tried to sell it to me. I said no and that I'd bring the machine back. Well, she really didn't want it back. She wanted to have room for the new 15000 she had coming in. So she agreed to cover the cost. She has no clue how to operate the software and now isn't even returning my calls for help. So my advice would be to drive how ever far it takes to find a dealer that will help you after the sale. She said there would be one on one lessons. But when I asked for them she said after the first of the year. I have had to find a quilt shop that is 45 minutes away that is going to be giving a class to two buyers. The sales person there has been delightful and is willing to let me come even though I didn't purchase from her. That store is Wish Upon a Quilt in Raleigh, NC. So service after the sale is almost as important as the features on the machine.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:00 AM

I love my Janomes. Traded up from husqvarna Viking and never looked back. I have janome 12000, looked at the new 15000 and decided the upgrades weren't worth the extra money. You just have to decide what you want and jump in. My son gave me the same advice a while back when we were looking at computers. No matter which electronic equipment, being machine, etc, you get, it'll have a newer model in a year or two.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Be sure to go to a store where you can tell they know about the machine you are buying. I've had a terrible experience with my purchase. So, not to whine, but maybe my story can help someone else. I make donation quilts primarily. So when I found out about the AquFil quilting system available on the Janome, it seemed like just the ticket. But that requires it to be an embroidery machine. Which means big bucks. So for several years I have muddled along with my old Viking. Then, just recently my elderly mother gave me some money to do something "fun" with. (half the cost) So I started researching the Janome Models and tried to find a store to go to. I ended up at Alexander's Sew and Vac in Durham, NC as opposed to a quilt shop. I live out in the boonies and that was the closest place(still half an hour) I figured that would be a good place for service should it become necessary. The saleswoman seemed to know the functions of the machine and assured me the AquFil Quilt Software was included. Well, it wasn't. So at first she tried to sell it to me. I said no and that I'd bring the machine back. Well, she really didn't want it back. She wanted to have room for the new 15000 she had coming in. So she agreed to cover the cost. She has no clue how to operate the software and now isn't even returning my calls for help. So my advice would be to drive how ever far it takes to find a dealer that will help you after the sale. She said there would be one on one lessons. But when I asked for them she said after the first of the year. I have had to find a quilt shop that is 45 minutes away that is going to be giving a class to two buyers. The sales person there has been delightful and is willing to let me come even though I didn't purchase from her. That store is Wish Upon a Quilt in Raleigh, NC. So service after the sale is almost as important as the features on the machine.
Send an email to janome and tell them about your problems. They want to make sure their dealers are taking care of you. I'm lucky, my dealer knows these machines thoroughly. No wonder he's the largest dealer in Texas
Old 10-14-2013, 05:21 AM

I have been in email contact with someone at Janome. Unfortunately they can only be so much help that way. She has answered a few of my questions via email. I have told her that I feel they should discontinue selling through this dealer as it gives Janome a bad name. I love the 12000. But surely was a huge mistake buying where I did. I don't know about other stores, but this one has a no return policy. Only exchange, which I didn't know till I got home.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I spoke with one of the lqs shops where I purchased my Singer and asked about these situations. I was informed by the owner/dealer that if they didn't deliver on repair and features of the machines they had and serviced in their shops they could lose dealership status and would no longer be able to sell certain machines in their shop. These companies expect their dealers to know everything about the machines. If the software is to be sold with the machine then it hab better be included. The dealer where I purchased mine a few years ago had me sit down with her and guided me through the different steps and intricacies, She also told me that anytime my machine was out of service all I had to do was put a deposit on a loaner from her shop while mine was being repaired. The deposit was returned when mine would be repaired and I returned the loaner. They had to start asking for deposits because some of the owner's machines were in irreparable condition or not as nice and some owners just took off with the loaners and never to be seen again. This dealer is just down the road from me. Can't get a whole lot better than that. They have retreats often and classes 2-3 times a week. Calendars are sent/ emailed monthly.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 AM

Thanks for the response. I would like to see the Sew and Vac store I bought from be made to stop selling the Janome. I emailed someone at Janome and they were very helpful. I don't know how to go about getting the store to lose their right to sell. The Janome is a fabulous machine. I hate for others to go through what I have. But maybe others aren't as uninformed as I was as to where to buy. I called once to ask about how to change the metric to inches on the Horizon Link Software. She said she didn't know and assured me she'd find out and call back. She didn't. So I called again after about a week and had to leave a message for her to call me back. She didn't. I don't know what recourse I have at this point. Maybe I should call Janome Customer Service and register a complaint.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

I have two straight stitch only machines that I use all the time. I have several other machines but, I don't use them. The two I use have 9" throats and I love them.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:03 AM

That store is Wish Upon a Quilt in Raleigh, NC. So service after the sale is almost as important as the features on the machine.

I've only been in that store once about 5 years ago, but thoroughly enjoyed the visit. The salespeople were friendly and knowledgeable (and ohhhhhed and ahhhhed over my new granddaughter). I have been on their newsletter list ever since and have made several online purchase from them.