Old 10-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Sue B.

I know that this is an old thread (pun). I restore FW's and the best way to remove old decals is with denatured alcohol from a hardware store and a lot of rubbing with a soft cloth that you apply it with. Once you start, you will have to remove all the old clear coat on the sewing table, to keep it smooth. This will not remove the paint just the shellac that they used to protect the paint and decals. When you get down to the decals it will take a little extra rubbing to remove them, from what I think, some of the decals were baked into the paint surface and may require a light rubbing of 2000 grit sand paper dipped into the alcohol to remove be gentle. You will have to clear coat over new decals. Auto spray paint clear coat enamel works well and will take about a week to set up before you can sew. Most of the top decals on the machines are usually in good shape and can be left on. If you are handy you may try this, if not just live with your old decals, Your machine may be ugly but if it works well love your ugly child!