View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 01:03 PM
dee1245

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I recently purchased a new quilt book that had many patterns that I just loved. I kept looking at this book and knew something was different about the quilts, but could not figure it out. Finally on the second day of looking, I realized what it was: the quilts were all tied !!! Not one of the quilts in the book were quilted by machine or by hand. And I loved every single one of the quilts. They look soft and airy and so comfortable. I am on vacation now so I can't tell you the name of the book as it's at home. The book was written by two English women. I usually am very observant but my DH was in and out of the hospital and I was trying to finish my Christmas quilts etc, I think that is why I never noticed they were tied. I am definitely going to tie my next quilt, no doubt about it and use the lightest fluffiest batting I can.
I did not grow up with quilting. My first experiences with any kind of quilt was to help my SIL tie a quilt. That was all I ever knew about quilting. Then my MIL cut up all my old wool skirts from highschool from the late 50s and created a quilt top while I was at work. It has a sheet for backing without any batting and we tied that quilt. I am still using it. It is now about 35 years old and just as warm as the day it was made.