Thread: Darn Knit
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Just iron on some sort of patch on the back. Like an iron-on interfacing. HTH
Would this change the drape of the shirt, do you think? I wonder because it's so light.

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I had that problem once. I took a needle and thread, matching color, left a tail and slipped the needle through the knit loop on bottom and top, then next row, etc to close up hole. That way the knit would not come undone and the hole get bigger. When you get the hole sewn up, then you can tie off thread ends, but not too tight as to make a dent in the fabric. Hope this is clear enough to you. Easy to do, harder to put into words!
I think I completely know what you're talking about. Basically, with the thread, I'm going to "Fabricate" a little fabric. I have some t-shirts I could try it on to practice. (I have skittish clingy cats, I have a lot of customized t-shirts. )

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
Look at the possibility of using the lightest knit interfacing you can find - press a small circle on the back of the hole and use tiny stitches with silk applique thread to hand stitch it on with tiny stitches. make sure the stretch is going the same way as the garment..don't know the color or sheerness of your garment, so not sure if shadow of interfacing would show thru. Joann's carries a lightweight interfacing....I was also successful in mending a rather large hole by getting some soft chiffon in the color of the garment and stitching it onto the back in this way...used the bias in the direction of the stretch to make it "moveable".
The shirt is black and quite sheer. I think it would show the shadow, and also change the drape potentially. I really like the chiffon idea. Especially because I'm not a strong hand sewist.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Why not a couple little bug appliques or floral one? What ever would be appropriate!
That would be cute on a more casual top I think. This one is a little more dressy, one hole on the back of the shoulder (I suspect cat installed) and the other is the lower back, I have no idea on that one.

It looks like Martha Stewart suggests a regular old darn on a heavier knit (she shows it with a contrasting thread, but I think not in this case. )