Darn Knit

Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 AM

Default Darn Knit

I have a favorite shirt, and there are 2 holes that have appeared in it. They're both around or less than 1/4" in diameter.

What's the best way to mend them so they don't get worse, and so they're not particularly visible? I had thought I'd just do like I do with the jeans and fmq all over them, but I figured even with a ball point needle that I may be asking for runs.

ETA: I should mention that it's a very light knit, like thin t shirt material, not a sweater.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Why not a couple little bug appliques or floral one? What ever would be appropriate!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Just iron on some sort of patch on the back. Like an iron-on interfacing. HTH
Old 10-18-2013, 08:31 AM

I had that problem once. I took a needle and thread, matching color, left a tail and slipped the needle through the knit loop on bottom and top, then next row, etc to close up hole. That way the knit would not come undone and the hole get bigger. When you get the hole sewn up, then you can tie off thread ends, but not too tight as to make a dent in the fabric. Hope this is clear enough to you. Easy to do, harder to put into words!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:32 AM

Look at the possibility of using the lightest knit interfacing you can find - press a small circle on the back of the hole and use tiny stitches with silk applique thread to hand stitch it on with tiny stitches. make sure the stretch is going the same way as the garment..don't know the color or sheerness of your garment, so not sure if shadow of interfacing would show thru. Joann's carries a lightweight interfacing....I was also successful in mending a rather large hole by getting some soft chiffon in the color of the garment and stitching it onto the back in this way...used the bias in the direction of the stretch to make it "moveable".
Old 10-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I have not found a way to successfully mend a t-shirt hole that is invisible. I have tried sewing a tiny pleat/dart running the stitches off to nothing on each end but you can tell it has been stitched. I have tried a small piece of matching coloured fabric behind the hole and darning over it with matching thread but it is visible. The best fix I have found is an appliqué, if it can go in a practical spot. There are just some spots on a t-shirt you just do not want to add an appliqué to.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Just iron on some sort of patch on the back. Like an iron-on interfacing. HTH
Would this change the drape of the shirt, do you think? I wonder because it's so light.

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I had that problem once. I took a needle and thread, matching color, left a tail and slipped the needle through the knit loop on bottom and top, then next row, etc to close up hole. That way the knit would not come undone and the hole get bigger. When you get the hole sewn up, then you can tie off thread ends, but not too tight as to make a dent in the fabric. Hope this is clear enough to you. Easy to do, harder to put into words!
I think I completely know what you're talking about. Basically, with the thread, I'm going to "Fabricate" a little fabric. I have some t-shirts I could try it on to practice. (I have skittish clingy cats, I have a lot of customized t-shirts. )

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
Look at the possibility of using the lightest knit interfacing you can find - press a small circle on the back of the hole and use tiny stitches with silk applique thread to hand stitch it on with tiny stitches. make sure the stretch is going the same way as the garment..don't know the color or sheerness of your garment, so not sure if shadow of interfacing would show thru. Joann's carries a lightweight interfacing....I was also successful in mending a rather large hole by getting some soft chiffon in the color of the garment and stitching it onto the back in this way...used the bias in the direction of the stretch to make it "moveable".
The shirt is black and quite sheer. I think it would show the shadow, and also change the drape potentially. I really like the chiffon idea. Especially because I'm not a strong hand sewist.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Why not a couple little bug appliques or floral one? What ever would be appropriate!
That would be cute on a more casual top I think. This one is a little more dressy, one hole on the back of the shoulder (I suspect cat installed) and the other is the lower back, I have no idea on that one.

It looks like Martha Stewart suggests a regular old darn on a heavier knit (she shows it with a contrasting thread, but I think not in this case. )
Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have not found a way to successfully mend a t-shirt hole that is invisible. I have tried sewing a tiny pleat/dart running the stitches off to nothing on each end but you can tell it has been stitched. I have tried a small piece of matching coloured fabric behind the hole and darning over it with matching thread but it is visible. The best fix I have found is an appliqué, if it can go in a practical spot. There are just some spots on a t-shirt you just do not want to add an appliqué to.
LMBO!! Yes, it might chafe in some spots! I guess the possibility that it will look worse is why I haven't taken this on before now. I'd previously been told to put a little nail polish or fray check on it, but it's obviously a hole if I wear a tank top of light color under it.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:05 AM

there is a fabric repair in a tube you put some on the hole and then put some fabric that matches let it dry then if you want you can add some emb
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

I haven't figured out a way to do an 'invisible' repair on knits, either.

You could maybe get some thin nylon thread (used for lingerie) and do a darn to pull the edges together - but it would still look darned. But that might be better than an obvious hole.