Darn Knit

Old 10-18-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
there is a fabric repair in a tube you put some on the hole and then put some fabric that matches let it dry then if you want you can add some emb
So, it's like a speed sew or something?

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I haven't figured out a way to do an 'invisible' repair on knits, either.

You could maybe get some thin nylon thread (used for lingerie) and do a darn to pull the edges together - but it would still look darned. But that might be better than an obvious hole.
I think you're probably right. I worry a little that it will show more and more when the fabric fades as it gets older, but at the end of the day, a black top with a polka dot of flesh color doesn't really work either.

I should state at this point that I've never darned (or not in close to 30 years) by hand. By machine would be not recommended here, right?
Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 AM

If the shirt is dressier could you find several black sequin applique pieces to stitch on in several places--or even use the sequin trim that comes on a roll to make your own design over the holes after you have stitched them so they don't get any larger. Seems like a lot of T-shirts are sparkly this fall so you'd be right in style.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I had a lovely cream thin sweater jacket and it had tiny holes. I embroidered colorful flowers on all the holes.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

An iron on mending patch works well...
Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Just iron on some sort of patch on the back. Like an iron-on interfacing. HTH
That's what I do! I use the soft, knit fusible - just enough to cover the hole, and fuse it in place. They knit fusibles don't usually change the feel of the fabric like the non-wovens do, and if your hole is not in a place where you want an appliqué, this is better than getting rid of the shirt!
Old 10-20-2013, 01:39 PM

I have done the same thing, then using two or three strands of embroidery thread, I make a lazy daisy stitch urging the center of the tear as the center, then make a few more sprinkled to look intentional. I like the lazy daisy, but you could use any simple design the same way.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:31 PM

Thanks ladies! It looks like I may have to start learning some basic hand embroidery, if only just to mend some delicate things I don't want to throw away.

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
That's what I do! I use the soft, knit fusible - just enough to cover the hole, and fuse it in place. They knit fusibles don't usually change the feel of the fabric like the non-wovens do, and if your hole is not in
a place where you want an appliqué, this is better than getting rid of the shirt!
I completely agree! I think I even have a little bit of lightweight -black- knit fusible interfacing. I don't know why it never occurred to me to look at it!
Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I have done the same thing, then using two or three strands of embroidery thread, I make a lazy daisy stitch urging the center of the tear as the center, then make a few more sprinkled to look intentional. I like the lazy daisy, but you could use any simple design the same way.
thanks for this idea! I can picture it in my head, so I should be able to try it out. I've got the shirt in the wash right now, and when it's out and dry, I'll try out some of these ideas ladies, thanks so much!