Old 10-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Elisabrat

to Jaba. We love you guys.

candied coconut: first you poke the monkey eyes in the coconut to drain the milk. take a hammer to the equator of the coconut and whack it a couple times, keep turning and hitting along that line and it will crack in half. then you slowly poke all the meat off the coconut (you go between the hard part and the meat). this is easier if you put it in the oven at 250 for 20 minutes or so.. it pulls away? you cut off the brown part along the meat carefully. then you slice it pretty thin in long strips. put the coconut strips in a bowl and cover with 1 cup sugar. stir well. cover with saran wrap for about 2 to 6 hours. stir one more cup sugar on the strips (it will be sorta liquidy in the bowl from the coconut and sugar) put in a non stick frying pan on med/high eat. cook til it reachs a bubble and liquid is like cornstarch thickened liquid? .. turn to low, continue stirining for about 20 minutes til all liquid has disappeared and you coconut is now crystalized again.. remove from heat and place on cookie sheet to cool. you end up with these sugared candied strips of coconut (it stays white if you don't burn it while stiring!) and its soo good. oh yes I eat only one strip. (Liar LIAR PANTS ON FIRE) and this my dears is candied coconut ... very popular in the Chinese communities, Japanese communities and Vietnamese. In Vietnam they make it for the new years celebration and often color it pink (why that I don't know) but its awfully good in my book. told my daughter today I made it she was OH NO YOU Don't send that to me!! hah make your own kid its a bit of work..