View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Wintersewer

I don't think this is just opinion...It's a FACT. I can understand not wanting to pay a lot for a sewing machine, but in that case one would be wise to buy an older all steel machine. CL has many of them. Try it before you buy to make sure it works, and then take it for a servicing, and you should have a machine that will last for years. I prefer the Japanese made Kenmore machines.

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
Do the research here on the web on Brother machines. Yes, there are lots of people who have them and are satisfied....but there are equal amounts who are not. I am one of the no's. I have purchased two different models of Brother machines, both from Walmart and neither one lasted more than a year with repairs costing more than original purchase price (one machine was $189). If the user is not an everyday sewer/quilter, they may get along just fine. If they use the machine like me and sew everyday, making lots of different things like quilts, handbags, clothing repairs, curtains, etc....you may want to consider a more heavy duty machine. "Most" low end Brother machines are made with primarily plastic parts and will not hold up with heavy usage. This is all just my opinion and personal experience.