Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine on sale at Costco >

Sewing Machine on sale at Costco

Sewing Machine on sale at Costco

Old 10-22-2013, 10:52 PM

I purchased this machine at Costco. It's the Brother XR1355. I wanted something light to travel with and take to classes. I was impressed with all the features of this little computerized machine. I have a Babylock Ellegante 4.0 and a Pfaff QE 4 but would rather take a lighter machine to class. I have been very pleased with the XR1355. I also had a question about the normal tension for the machine, so I called the support number and was so pleased with the lady I spoke to; she was so pleasant and answered my questions, then also sent me a follow-up email. This machine has a small throat, but that's ok with me, because I do not plan on using it for large quilts, just piecing and general sewing at classes. It's just as cute as a bug's ear and runs great. BTW, the sale is only on through October 30 or 31st, so if you are interested, you should get down there to get one. The price is definitely great at $134.99.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM

I have the xr1300 from Costco and I like it for piecing ,it dosn't like the thick quilt w/ batting and sewing seams ,,,it struggles to get the needle through the thick quilt. and I use the micro-tec needles with a 50Wt. thread, remember the whole thing is plastic the bobbin winder is plastic be careful it will break off. DottieBug
Old 10-23-2013, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlR View Post
I purchased this machine at Costco. It's the Brother XR1355. I wanted something light to travel with and take to classes. I was impressed with all the features of this little computerized machine. I have a Babylock Ellegante 4.0 and a Pfaff QE 4 but would rather take a lighter machine to class. I have been very pleased with the XR1355. I also had a question about the normal tension for the machine, so I called the support number and was so pleased with the lady I spoke to; she was so pleasant and answered my questions, then also sent me a follow-up email. This machine has a small throat, but that's ok with me, because I do not plan on using it for large quilts, just piecing and general sewing at classes. It's just as cute as a bug's ear and runs great. BTW, the sale is only on through October 30 or 31st, so if you are interested, you should get down there to get one. The price is definitely great at $134.99.

I bought this same model at Costco, the XR1355, and was happy with the stitching and all the designs until I tried the monogram and the thread jammed up. It was a real bear to unscrew the plate and get the thread out and also difficult to replace the plate. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem with this model.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:38 PM
ro
Banned

i posted elsewhere but now cant find it so...... i also am looking for a machine i saw one brother pw420 $379 on line i think amazon has it. then i went into the fabric shop and there is a brother 750 there for $1,000. there were virtually the same a few little things different. one was the 420 came w/a table the 750 did not. a quilt foot was involved. what it came down to was $600 difference. and the $600 difference was the 420 was sold by for argument sake walmart, amazon, costco although there is a warranty, if something happens you box up the machine and send it back to brother for repair. if something happens to the 750, i bring it to my local authorized shop and they repair it. so is it worth $600 difference? i dont know. to me it does.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the great input. It is the Brother XR1355. I purchased it today, the sale is off tomorrow. My daughter already has a nice Brother we gave her as a HS grad present 7 years ago from a dealer, and it was a close out special, so we got it for a good price. It has the embroidery on it, and she is sewing as a side business and is finding that switching from one to another is a pain, and asked for a second machine for Christmas. I talked to her today, and her machine needs to go in for service and has a deadline for an order, so I think she will get an early Christmas present, so I will let you know how she likes it. What sold me was Costcos return policy, if you are not happy with it, bring it back, no problem. I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". I don't have a problem paying good money for a machine as I have a few Berninas myself. However, I don't think a person would appreciate driving a luxury car if they had not driven a Toyota first, and that goes for sewing machines, too. I have a Bernina 430 that I inherited from my mom, just waiting to give her, but I feel she needs to "pay" her dues first, before she can really appreciate a good machine, just the way I did.